Scuba listed as one of the 5 most expensive hobbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ran field with expensive hobbies. Raced motorcycles (flat track) got hurt and quit, started mountain climbing, skydiving and scuba diving afterwards. Back to motorcycles 20 yrs later, road racing this time round then moved to Virginia and sold all the bikes and started diving again.

Anything fun cost money!!

It gets worse. From the same page is the link
"8 Hobbies Your Life Insurer Won’t Approve Of"....This is one activity where the more you do it, the more dangerous the activity is deemed to be. Also, those who dive alone, lack formal training or do deep-water dives will generally be declined for life insurance policies. .

If you're 50 something, all your debts are paid and your kids are gone, you have to ask yourself why you have life insurance anyway...just saying.

Shhhhhhh!! This should be restricted so that a non-diving spouse cannot access this thread!! :nailbiter:

It gets worse. From the same page is the link
"8 Hobbies Your Life Insurer Won’t Approve Of"

8 Hobbies Your Life Insurer Won?t Approve Of - Slideshow | Investopedia

Scuba Diving

Even though you may think you're not putting yourself in danger quite like jumping out of a flying plane, scuba diving is considered one of the most dangerous activities a person can do. This is because of the relatively high incidences of drowning and decompression sickness. Though your insurance company may not increase your premiums or decline your insurance application if you did one scuba lesson while on holiday in Hawaii, they are likely to be concerned if you are doing deep-water dives on a regular basis. This is one activity where the more you do it, the more dangerous the activity is deemed to be. Also, those who dive alone, lack formal training or do deep-water dives will generally be declined for life insurance policies.

*relatively unrelated*
The web page also features the article "What Young People Are Spending Their Money On".
What ever happened to not ending a sentence with a prpeosition? This reminds me of the speech patterns of Jar-Jar Binks.

Like I said ... boneheads. They probably own a bike shop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

*relatively unrelated*
The web page also features the article "What Young People Are Spending Their Money On".
What ever happened to not ending a sentence with a prpeosition? This reminds me of the speech patterns of Jar-Jar Binks.

that is a rule up with which I will not put
-Winston Churchill

... and just the personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, booties, and in colder climes gloves) that you're required to purchase for your OW class can run you upwards of $300.

I bought a decent scuba mask for $40, used fins for $30, and found my snorkel in a box in the attic. Found drysuit seals for cheap on EBay....$50.

Where is this $300 coming from?

My personal annual budget for scuba is $15-$20 thousand a year ... but then, I'm an addict ...

I guess that's only a small fraction of your disposable income then, is it?

Scuba diving can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. For money conscious people like myself, I'm all for getting good deals on gear, even if I have to buy it used. Not every person I'm going to dive with will be crazy rich. That's just trying to make the hobby out of reach for people who can't afford all of the latest and greatest gear.

If I can get by on a 6 year old laptop, then I can get by just as well as having 6 year old scuba gear.

Well said..For that reason I really dislike the option here as vacation diver..I travel TO dive, not dive while im on holiday. Its proportionate to disposable income and your personal view on what diving brings you. Agree with Cos the article is poorly written and seems to be aimed at the teenage reader. Thoroughbred Horse Racing doesnt even get a mention...I have bank statements that remind me I spent a 5 figure sum to get 1 minute and 32 seconds of pure joy out of buying a yearling and seeing the gamble pay off leading my horse back into the winners circle. I dont care how much that cost per second it was worth it. Also cost me stupid thousand dollars to go and dive Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa......but it was worth it. Im far from rich, just worked it out so I can have a few $ to spend on what makes me happy. It made me happy to sit on the deck of my overwater bungalow in Bora Bora watching eagle rays gliding around while I ate cheese I bought from the supermarket I hitch hiked to. It made me just as happy diving a muddy creek in my ageing scruffy kit of gear that I love that was put together second hand and new. I dont think we live long enough to not go out and find what it is that brings us joy. Screw the cost, thats what we all have in common. Arent we lucky?

*relatively unrelated*

Completing the unrelated thought....

The earliest English grammar books not only imitated Latin, they were written in Latin. The early grammarians imposed rules on the English language because that's the way it is in Latin. In Latin, a heavily inflected language, it is not possible to end a sentence with a preposition. Because it is possible to do so in English, one early grammarian decided that it should not be allowed, since it can't be done in Latin. English is not Latin. Its internal grammar is entirely different. Almost all modern grammarians agree that there is nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition, and it is often preferable to do so.

The same thing is true, BTW, with splitting an infinitive.

My hobbies in order of expense:

Woodworking- I have a full shop, which over 25 years has cost me over a 100K+. But, I have renovated 3 homes, making every piece of woodwork and cabinetry, and paid it off several times over- and about to start another time.

Photography- Nikon, Olympus, Leica, and every lens from 14mm to 600mm, all very well used. Computer to support it (and the UW thing with the Olympus), up to 40k photos per year. Insurance says I insure 50K+ of equipment over a value of $1,500 per year.

Golf- dropped it, too expensive and too time consuming. :) Although in retirement, may start up again. Our Firm had a golf group, that designed courses in the $175-250 range- won't be going down that path now that I personally have to pay for it.

Scuba- Well, Cold, warm and travel setups, and buying a full setup for my daughter (my original buddy and majoring in marine biology), it is expensive. Have gone on 3 to 4 trips abroad per year, but a few thoughts. Lots of time with my non-diver wife, who could baste in the sun endless hours and is happy doing nothing while I dive away; incredible times diving with my daughter, memories that will last a lifetime. Combining photo with SCUBA, pictures that will last a lifetime.

I can sit on a site in 25 degree weather waiting alone for that perfect shot, work for hours by myself in my shop making a masterpiece, but the time with others has been wonderful (don't get me wrong, I throughly enjoy these sojourns). Right now SCUBA seems to have the best payoff, considering the friends I've made and the memories that have evolved.

Now, my oldest daughter wants me to get into Skydiving and I am considering that pilots license.... ;-)

Terry

Back
Top Bottom