Scuba listed as one of the 5 most expensive hobbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Know how to create an animated GIF? Can you make a list? Congratulations, here's a journalism degree."

-Tim Siedell

i wonder if anyone will have reply to my message lol

I agree that scuba isn't cheap, and it shouldn't be cheap because it is closely related to participents own well being. But I can easily name a few other hobbies that is a lot more expansive than scuba. On top of my head: motor sport, videography, photography. Of course, video and photo can be combine with scuba, which makes this combo even more expansive, but still no where near motor sport or aviation

[h=3][FONT=SlingLight, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SCRABBLE
[/FONT]
The cost of equipment is a modest $20, and certification is unnecessary. For those who are serious about their scrabble, only the most picturesque, exotic locations will do. If you're able to avoid the $1,500 or more plane ticket to get you to such sites like the International Scrabble Finals in Sydney, your Scrabble hobby may not be as budget-busting as it could, but how long will the local game circuit be enough?
[/h]

Scrabble can also be deadly: Short Stories: Death By Scrabble by Charlie Fish

sure it is......

especially when you run this as the dive boat.....

DSCN1591.jpgDSCN1597.jpg

Last edited:
My father said, "Don't mess with anything that floats or eats oats."-- meaning boats and horses; I own several of each. :shocked2:

Certification instruction is not necessary for entry into scuba, of course; I didn't get certified until seven years after I started diving; then, only so I could work on dive boats.

After reading this thread last night I decided to see what $500 could get if looking for a decent entry-level scuba kit. So this morning I went to a local Houston dive shop, told the sales person that I had $500, only; whipped it out in cash-- bought this:

$80 Ocean Quest mask, snorkel, fins package
$10 Trident weight belt, twelve pound weights (six 2lbs. each)
$20 Trident men's size 11 booties and "coral gloves"
$200 Aeris A2 Max-flex regulator, Aeris A1 octo, Trident pressure/depth gauge ("A real steal")
$120 Genesis aluminum 80 tank, yoke K-valve; Trident pressure guage and plastic backplate (Normally $160, but I said no deal on the rest without including the tank/BP)
$70 Scubapro 3/2mm Steamer Super-stretch wetsuit (men's large; found on closeout sale rack)

He threw in a well-used PADI Open Water Student book, some clips, some scuba themed stickers, and a small bottle of mask defogger.

Total:

$500 plus $41.25 sales tax (I paid the tax with a debit card.)

Not bad. On the way to Galveston (to dive it all later today), I did stop to buy a $13.56 Timex watch, "waterproof to 100m", at Walgreens. Also, I am going to dive with my 4-inch knife that I already own.

While the shop will not fill tanks for those without a c-card, I did find a paintball arcade that filled to 3000 with breathable-rated air for $6.48.

(I had a lot of fun shopping for this package; especially considering that my Scubapro Mk25/GV250 alone retails for ~$700.)

Last edited:
Wife and me: Scuba (none locally, travel required)
+Wife and me: Downhill skiing (pricey gear, lift passes)
+Me: Road cycling (pro level road bike + maintenance)
+Wife: Tennis (equipment, club/court fees)

Last edited:
$500?
Tell that to my $800 reg, $250 computer, $650 BC, and $350 mask, fins, booties, gloves, and snorkel.

Thank God for the ability to buy used.

The estimates on aviation are just so wildly low I don't know where to start. $5k for a private pilot's license? $80/hr for airplane rental? I'd add about 40% to those numbers - minimum.

The estimates on aviation are just so wildly low I don't know where to start. $5k for a private pilot's license? $80/hr for airplane rental? I'd add about 40% to those numbers - minimum.
Around here we're looking at $10-12k for a fixed wing license, $15k for rotary. Around $150 an hour for rental.

These guys are about half of real aviation costs.

Back
Top Bottom