Scuba Liquidators /eastern water sports lowball price for used dive equipment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your basic run of the mill recreational scuba gear isn’t worth much used. There are certain things that hold their value - Shearwater computers and Apeks regs among them.

They’re probably counting on people wanting to take the easy way out to sell, rather than doing it themselves.

It’s like selling your used car to Carmax instead of selling it yourself.
Off topic, but...

This doesn't always hold true. I've bought probably 15 cars from CarMax in the last 25 years. Sold many of them back to them. The last one was my 19 year old's busted a$$ hyundai (3 accidents, enough dog hair to knit a sweater, horrible window tinting job, dings galore). Had done the research to sell it ourselves. Took it in just for a comparison. We didn't plan on selling the car to them, so we had no other transportation home from the lot. They promptly offered WAY more than we owed and WAY WAY more than it was worth. I was afraid to leave with the the thing lest we get into an accident, so we called to have someone come pick us up and left that stinker with them.

It's so easy to get an offer from CarMax, I always at least check with them before I trade or sell.

As someone who has personally dealt with the scumbag owner of Eastern Watersports in the past, I would 100% reccomend you deal elsewhere.
He is a real piece of crap.
His name is Philip something, I can't remember the last name.

As someone who has personally dealt with the scumbag owner of Eastern Watersports in the past, I would 100% reccommend you deal elsewhere.
He is a real piece of crap.
His name is Philip something, I can't remember the last name.
Depalo

I do have to apologize. The company is eastern water sports. The items are used but I have always stored the equipment in a controlled environment indoors at my residence. Their quote seemed to be very low compared to similar if not identical gear on this site and other sites. Their quote was also based solely on photographs as is the norm. These are items I wish to sell. I hope this provides the answers you seek. The header on the quote is listed as Scuba Liquidators. Thank you for your inquiry
If you sell to somebody, whose intent is to re-sell that same item, expect them to have a markup. In many cases, such places will absolutely low-ball you. They get away with it often enough, because some percentage of people don't know what their item is worth, or are too lazy to sell it themselves. (I don't know if they low-balled you without seeing the gear and their offer, but I'm just speaking in generalities)

You have a very simple option of telling them no, and just selling it yourself. Craigslist, ScubaBoard, or Facebook market-place are all places you can list your gear for free. Ebay takes a cut, but nothing too severe.

The musical instrument and the sporting goods resale stores around me are very explicit with their buy sell policy. They will pay you one quarter of what they expect to sell the item in cash, or one third in store credit. It’s not great monetary value, but then you get space back in your house or garage and you don’t have the hassle of managing prospective customers around your preexisting schedule and personal space.

How do they stay in business giving you the full selling value? They have operating costs that have to be met/offset. Do you really think they would operate in any other mode?

They are a "for profit" entity.....

Cut out the "middle man", and you can maximize your return. However, as stated above, it isn't likely worth as much as you believe.
Thank you for the advice. My biggest issue is how to appraise my used equipment.

Thank you for the advice. My biggest issue is how to appraise my used equipment.
What do you have? You been going on about it, but haven’t bothered to mention exactly what you’re trying to sell.

You might get an idea of the value by providing a list of the equipment here. Even better with a few photos.
Checking sold listings on ebay is another approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom