Scuba Life Rafts, Survival Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dktexas54

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just finished reading "Not Without Hope" frightfull book. everyone should read. About the 4 guys last may in Tampa who went fishing and 3 died. Riveting book. I myself a boater and diver, shed a few tears and flayed myself for my lackidasical (not sure i spelled that right) attitude toward boating and my diving. Not to give away to those who might read, many things they could have done before hand and all would have lived. Specifically to diving, how long at 75 degrees in a 3 mil suit, would you live before hypothermia got you? I really don't know. Hopefully someone out there can answer. We spend enourmous sums of money getting trained, buying the lastest gear, going on outrageously expensive trips. How many of you have planned what you would do if separated and became adrift at sea? Sound rediculous? Maybe?, but it does happen. Just like these guys in the book, They never imagined in a million years what freaky events would happen to take their lives. Epirbs, Life rafts exclusively developed for divers to attach somewhere?, Other safety gear? What are your thoughts?

Those guys lost their lives over an anchor. If they had a $200 handheld submersible back up VHF radio they'd all be alive today. Going 60 miles into the gulf without an EPIRB is not too smart and then attaching the stuck anchor line to an aft cleat and gunning the main engine is beyond stupid. That is what caused the boat to capsize.

Pro football players that had plenty of money and a nice boat but lacked boating skills and went out in weather that deteriorated quickly and had zero safety devices on board. You are right, safety should not be an afterthought. When you need it, you need it bad.

greylion,
Should the same reasoning be applied to divers going out 60 miles? where is the divers epirb? a stupid f-in anchor. But you know, it shows that when stressed, tired, you can do stupid things. The survivor lived because he was clothed better and was out of the water more than the others and was just plain lucky at hell that USCG cutter spotted him. What would the chances of that occuring again be? astronomical!! Nick should pray everyday, twice a day the rest of his life. he was one lucky guy. how many divers go missing each year on liveaboards or diving remote areas of the world? It may only be one but god forbid i or you are that one!! some mfg should come up with a diver life raft etc and epirbs should become standard equipment when ocean diving. I am going to look into an eprib and cannister and a diver lift raft system and see how it might work with my gear when doing remote diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom