Scuba Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limited bus service at best on Maui...

I've heard this has gotten much better over the past couple years. To the point where I've heard someone say "if the bus system was this good when I moved to Maui, I wouldn't have bothered buying a car!"

With that in mind, they don't like scuba tanks on the bus, though they're ok with dive bags.

OK as for being on Budget the use of Oahu as your home base and doing day trips to the other islands can be very affordable...
Oahu has several hostels as well as do the other Island so can be done cheap..
As for transportation we are the ONLY ISLAND with mass public trans..... BUS service...You can go anywhere on Island...Other Islands best to Rent Car..Limited bus service at best on Maui...
Where ever you go you will enjoy Hawaii and YES ALOHA is on ALL ISLANDS if it is in YOU ALSO...
ALOHA MARK>

How much is THE BUS these days? I can remember it being 50c a ride back in the late 70s, early 80s. Maggi

2$ one way and I think the transfer lasts 2 hours now..

Hey Coll,

You're going to pay going to Hawaii. The diving can be great but, in my limited experience it can be funky. Plan for diving on the leeward side of the island and in the morning. You can probably get the best air to Oahu; as most flights to Kauai, Maui and Hawaii transfer thru Oahu, but you can find direct to those other islands. Holidays and school breaks will be more tourists and more $. If you want to save cash, go to the channel islands or mexico.

Still using the EDI?

R

Budget means shore diving, and that means BIG ISLAND!! Seriously, Maui is OK but not even in the shore diving league of the Big Island. You could fill several days with good Maui dives, but the average BI spot is better in my book.

Take all your own gear except tanks - it's $5+ per day to rent a weight belt so if you're going for more than a week, USPS Medium Flat Rate Box Priority Mail the weights for $13 insured each way (don't forget to reinforce the box a lot with good tape). If you can arrange a good rental package deal in advance, it might be worth saving the airline luggage fees if you can drop a bag, depending on how long you're staying. It doesn't hurt to call and ask.

You can get a nice 1 BD condo for much less than $100 per night (ours was $72 total/nt, on the water, immaculate grounds, nice place), which would be hard to beat even with a low-rent hotel, and you get a kitchen and it will sleep two or 10 guys better than a hotel room. Occupancy is down - negotiate.

Car rental varies a lot, I've seen $11 per day up to nearly $30, and can change daily so set up a notification with Hotwire or the like and start shopping early. I've had decent luck with Priceline name your price, but make sure you low ball them seriously, or no deal. I try them last, since you pay on the spot.

Oahu used to be a $100 cheaper flight than the other islands, but it seems like that isn't so hard and fast anymore. There are lots of direct flights now to Maui and the BI. Just after Thanksgiving this year, Alaska and Hawaiian were offering Kona RTs for well under $400 from San Jose and Oakland. Flight cost is all about which day you fly so watch the fare schedule calendars regularly, and make the ticket the first thing you buy. Sign up for some daily travel deal emails too, so you get tipped when fares drop. I can't say whether buying early or late is better. The last couple of years, it's worked out for me to buy at the last minute.

Final budget suggestion: post a Craigslist ad for your car, gear, even room and boat dives - you might get good offers from some locals.

Did anyone notice that this thread started three years ago? This guys KIDS are probably planning a trip by now!!!:chuckle:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom