Scuba Goop & Trident U Mark It Paint Gear Paint are same item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are reading reviews in most magazines and all vendor owned sites, of course all you are going to see it positive reviews. They are not open or unbiased, they want to sell, sell, sell. When was the last time you picked up a dive mag and read some piece of gear was over-priced crap? Just not going to happen. They are not going to provide you the space to shoot them, deserved or not.

On the SB vendor sites, you get bit more honestly. You still cannot be an a-hole, but you can post legitimate issues and most likely get a response (not always the one you want, but something). These are one of my favorite fishing holes to get get info.

If all you really want to to is vent, then you can post in whine and cheese and say just about anything you want as long as you don't violate the TOS (too much).

So, choose your venue wisely and go have fun..

With all due respect, the 6-fold price increase he's talking about is a rip-off.

is it a rip off? yep. it is.

My LDS sells paint markers. For a lot more than you can buy them at "Hobby Lobby". It's just the nature of the Scuba business.

Don't buy paint markers from them if you don't want to..... Buy them from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc. They are at Dive Shops as some people will buy them because they don't know better or as a convenience. Just like Cokes cost more 'cold' in a convenience store than they do in a 12 pack in the grocery store.

As for Scuba.com controlling reviews on their website. I seriously doubt this is the first time they've done it. I'd expect it in the future. But other vendors do it also. I've seen Divers Direct censor part of a review for example. It's just the way it is. It's not going to change.

If you want some good reading on Scuba.com and their pricing, go check out some threads on them on the Deco Stop a year or two ago where it went over their website where they reported every one else's violation of MAP pricing. Then ironically they came on here at the same time and violated MAP pricing posting Tusa split fins for $99 (which was below MAP at the time). Just a huge double standard on their part. Go figure.

FloridaRanger, although I applaud your effort to save the average diver some cash, I am not sure why you are so focussed on this issue. You have posted 5 separate threads about a $6 bottle of gear marking (or hobby) paint. Rebranding, marketing, e-tailer and retailer rights and procedures have all been explained in some detail. Even Scuba.com came on and tried to answer your questions. You can keep asking, but the answers are not going to change. Maybe it's time to move on to something else?

wow... I missed this post the first read through...

you're not kidding.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accessories/322060-scuba-goop.html in Accessories forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/322067-scuba-goop.html in Intro and greets forum

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...merges-trident-u-mark-gear-marking-paint.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...a-goop-trident-u-mark-gear-marking-paint.html

Plus this thread we are reading.

I'm thinking someone is maybe a little obsessed and sniffing the paint glue pen at this point. :rofl3:

That is spamming if anything is. While over the top, at least the OP is trying to help us save money.

That is spamming if anything is. While over the top, at least the OP is trying to help us save money.

yeah... but are they an "authorized dealer" of that paint marker?

and how much can you get it at Leisure Pro for?

(and with that.... we've come 'full circle' in this thread.... almost.... we've still got to wait for someone to post "you're gonna die" using that rebranded paint marker. :thumb: )

Not long ago I posted a thread about Scuba Goop. This is a good product for marking gear, but it sells on Scuba.com for six bucks plus shipping, and the exact same item can be bought at any crafts store or crafts department in town as Scribbles 3-D Paint for about a dollar. I posted a review on Scuba.com stating that Scuba Goop was simply a relabeled bottle of Scribbles 3-D Paint. That review was deleted from Scuba.com, and their representative stated on this board that its disappearance was a great mystery.

Now Scuba.com is selling Scibbles 3-D Paint relabeled as Trident U-Mark-It Gear Marking Paint, again for six dollars plus shipping versus the one dollar price of the original product.

I purchased a bottle, just to have the privilege of letting divers know they can find it elsewhere cheaper (you have to buy an item from scuba.com to review it there), but guess what? When I went to post my review, I found I am blocked from reviewing that product.

Now, this is a good product for marking wetsuits, gloves, etc. (not so much on masks, fins and slick surfaces), and you may well want to pay the $6 plus shipping just for the convenience of not having to look for it locally. Scuba.com will say the price is jacked up already by their suppliers before they jack it up even more. But it seems to me honest reviews ought to be allowed on any website that purports to do business honestly. Especially when they claim to be by divers, for divers.

Do you work for free? Without markup and profit businesses tend to fold pretty quickly.

With all due respect, the 6-fold price increase he's talking about is a rip-off.

IF Scuba.com was making the paint and selling it at $6, then maybe. But they buy from someone else who buys it from someone else, and all those people in the middle need to make a profit. And double is not unusual at retail on some items. The hobby stores (at least the major ones) etc buy either direct or one distributor, so they can sell for less. Thats the same way Home Depot and WalMart can sell so cheap, high volume and no middle mark ups.

If they dropped it tomorrow, I doubt anyone would even care. I also doubt anyone goes to Scuba.com to buy one bottle of marking paint. It is also sold as an accessory item, and as a convenience. So you save $100 on a reg but pay a couple bucks extra for marking paint.

Last edited:
I put red tie-wraps on my stuff. Costs nothing since I had a bundle left over in my electrical stuff and doesn't mess up my gear.

The forums are for discussing all things SCUBA and diving in general, including complaints about overpriced gear and accessories, even those sold at Scuba.com. This place is not a store front or even an internet sales outlet. I think the OP's thread about the price of a product sold on Scuba.com was completely appropriate and if it actually was removed by ScubaBoard, well, that smacks of some real insecurity.

That being said, free speech does not exist here. This is ScubaBoard's world and we are just allowed to play here. Their ball, their rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom