Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
Value? Yep giving up free parts for life and no warranty is some divers sense of value I guess.

Good luck if you shop there.

If you decide to go with Scubapro and plan on having your reg for at least 5 years and serviced annually then buying from an authorized dealer and getting the free parts for life is the way to go. Still, shop around till you find one who will give you the authorized 10% discount rather than full MSRP. But, depending on how often you dive and how good you care for your gear, annual service is often overkill. But if you can't do some maintenance & adjustment yourself, it's probably not a bad idea to plan on annual service.

But other gear is not as service dependent. You can pay over $100 for a Scubapro Frameless mask (a great mask) from an authorized dealer, or half that for the same mask from Leisurepro, or 1/3 that price for another brand knockoff that is just as good. Shop around and get smart before you spend a lot more than you need to.

I dive all Scubapro regs. But I retired most of my new reg and dive old used regs obtained on ebay fairly cheaply. I service them myself. Not counting the initial service I do on a newly acquired reg, I probably spend about $30 to $40 dollars a year on parts at a 100% mark-up from my supplier. You will likely spend twice that or more for the service even with free parts.

Al Mialkovsky:
Value? Yep giving up free parts for life and no warranty is some divers sense of value I guess.

Good luck if you shop there.
thankyou Al....

They're good products, the only problem is that if you are limited to only Scubapro masks you may have trouble getting a good fit. Often people go to multiple shops trying on many brands and models of masks hunting for the right fit.

Scuba Pro has a full line of gear and regs. You don't have to get a $600 reg if you're just going to hit the warm water 1-2 trips a year. You can very easily get by with a flow through piston, such as the Mk2 with a non adjustable 2nd stage. Other brands are good, too, Aqua Lung, Dive Rite, Oceanic are all regs I have and do dive with. I primarily use the old standby Mk25/S600 though as my primary regs.

Back
Top Bottom