Scuba Gear Project, Requesting Assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kosuki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I am looking into a little project/experiment. I have allot of land and am a vol fire fighter. WE have brush fires quite frequently. We use the standard water packs for fighting brush fires on foot. We have recently had an idea to convert a Twin Scuba Tank backpack into a CAFS backpack. WE know the pressure for the tanks can be well over 2000 psi. We need to know who here if anyone, has had experience with these conversions. WE also ned some questions answered.

Since weight will be key, since tanks will be filled with water, we want our default weight to be low as possible.
What are the lightest tanks made of?

We would have a aircompressor on the rig, as we do now for refilling Class A cans, is there a adapter anyone knows of to allow a aircompressor hose to fill a tank. Remember, we only need 200-300 PSI.

I know we will need a regulator, as we will want about 100psi is all coming out the tip.

As for discharge adapter, we will use a standard air compressor hose nozzle, with some tweaks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands of gear, something heavy duty and yet not going to break the bank. This is just a test run, and if it works we plan to make more, even some neighboring departments are interested. Hard part wil lbe filling tanks with water, we may need to do some modifications to the tank it self for a fill hose, again the psi max is 300 PSI, so what ever we do, wont be too bad.

Thank you and I apologize if I am posting in wrong section.

I would look at a standard sprayer tank with a small 6-19cf tank/regulator added to provide air pressure to push the water out.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the SCBA carbon-fiber tanks used by firefighters (to breathe air). They are light-weight but I don't know to what pressure they fill them. Some are listed as 300 BAR but at the moment I don't know what that is in PSI.

I wonder what they were using in the 1953 movie War of the Worlds. They had portable water tanks with sprayers that they were using to put out the small fires. Is this possibly a lost technology?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom