Scuba Gear for the Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, I wouldl agree with you if we were talking about unmodified older DH regs but you are misinformed about the current state of DH regulators. With the exception of proper cleaning, they are no more work than any other regulator. I will agree they do require proper setup as far as placement on the body is concerned but that is easily learned. The Kraken is a modern regulator that has all the same features as any other modern reg. It uses common AL service parts so any competent AL service person can easily service one. Performance wise, I have had my AK tested on a modern flow bench, it significantly out performed the Scubapro MK-25 and the Atomic Z3 unitl flow rates got way above what any diver could possibly breath. The generalization that they are difficult to dive or unsafe is simply inaccurate.
Thanks for the clarification mate. The Scubapro MK-25 was one of the regs I've been looking at too.

Last edited:
Wow... thanks guys this is all brilliant information. I am very interested in looking at the AK double hose setup and jumping in the deep end. It's really good though getting varied opinions and information to make informed decisions based on application.

One thing that I do know from all your comments is that I need to focus on perfecting my dive technique and learning the diving, breath control, buoyancy, trim etc before I get too carried away with the photography in some respects.

So I think I am leaning heavily towards the Kraken, Has anyone used the Argonaut 2nd Stage or would you recommend a third party one may be a better option?

Next question what computers are fellow photographers finding most beneficial? I think I'll get a set of analogue gauges anyway as a redundancy but for ease of monitoring while in photographer mode a wrist based computer that displays everything is something likely worthwhile investing in.
Thoughts on below kit as photographers or others that you use? I plan on doing my Nitrox course following Advanced and Rescue so may aswell cover the future plans.

Oceanic VTX
AQUA LUNG i750TC
Suunto EON
Scubapro G2
Divesoft Freedom
Shearwater Perdix or Petrel (The Shearwater is what Im leaning to).

Starting to look at wing setups for BC and that's probably the next question that I'll pose for more in depth recommendations now we've sorted the regs. What other photographers find as most application suitable, D-rings, pocket setups, harness and backplate comfort/portability/weight...

Bvanant
Cheers for the advice, well heeded. I agree its a good idea to continue my development on single hose reg too as I wont be able to get Kraken straight away so will hire single and do a few courses yet to work on technique. If I go Double it will definitely be the modern AK rather than trying to deal with old kit.

Again I am really appreciating the input as I couldnt find any other threads directly related to this from the photographers perspective.
Shearwater. no question. The Oceanic and Aqualung are made by the same company. Support is iffy.
Suunto? Nah, proprietary algorithm that does stuff on the fly based on what it thinks you should do. Overpriced as well.
G2? I don't know enough to give an opinion on it but based on student feedback, shearwater still wins.
Divesoft? Good reviews but can you get the support quickly if things go wrong?
Shearwater? Hands down. I own 3 of them. A Predator and two Perdix's. Support is second to none. Manual can actually be read by a non lawyer or engineer. Set up is easy and intuitive.

I would like to try the Kraken (a bit pricey and a bit big) but with only a single HP port, not going to work for me. I know you guys say it is quite reliable (bubbles don't really worry me, mostly I shoot nudibranchs) but on a recent trip to Indonesia the one guy who had one had lots of troubles. That being said, I understand that the plural of anecdote is not data.
Bill
Be very interested in hearing more about the sorts of troubles that guy had... was it specific to the Kraken, or was he a new DH diver still 'learning the ropes'?

Shearwater. no question. The Oceanic and Aqualung are made by the same company. Support is iffy.
Suunto? Nah, proprietary algorithm that does stuff on the fly based on what it thinks you should do. Overpriced as well.
G2? I don't know enough to give an opinion on it but based on student feedback, shearwater still wins.
Divesoft? Good reviews but can you get the support quickly if things go wrong?
Shearwater? Hands down. I own 3 of them. A Predator and two Perdix's. Support is second to none. Manual can actually be read by a non lawyer or engineer. Set up is easy and intuitive.
Thanks Jim all solid advice. Appreciated.

Be very interested in hearing more about the sorts of troubles that guy had... was it specific to the Kraken, or was he a new DH diver still 'learning the ropes'?

So would I considering when the rare problem does occur with an Argonaut Kraken I'm usually the 2nd one to know about it.

Gear? I claim you are asking the wrong question.

Photo skill and technique are king. Scuba gear is mostly meaningless.

Pop me into a F1 Ferrari and I will still be a crap racing diver.

Maybe it would be useful for the OP to sit back and identify a few photo related issues.

No he was an old hand. He actually brought two double hose rigs on the trip, one new and one quite old (early 60s I would guess). I tried the old one; it was not an easy breathing rig. I didn't get to try the Kraken, so I can't compare.
As for photography, learn your camera on land, set it up and shoot it in the housing in your kitchen with the strobes. Make sure that you can get to all the buttons you want without thinking too much. Take a photo class at your local community college and practice a lot. Taking a class might not get you a ton more knowledge than you might have BUT it will make you go out and shoot stuff to show in class.
As for computers, I will disagree on the Shearwater thought, RGBM seems to me the best available model for computers right now, but we all know that "all models are wrong, but some are useful" . In any case get your dive skills in shape then learn some photography, then go play.

Bill

No he was an old hand. He actually brought two double hose rigs on the trip, one new and one quite old (early 60s I would guess). I tried the old one; it was not an easy breathing rig. I didn't get to try the Kraken, so I can't compare.
Bill
Diving a double hose takes a bit of forethought. Placement on the divers back and it's position in relationship to the divers lungs is critical. Placed incorrectly even the Argonaut Kraken will breath poorly. Placed correctly it will breathe as easy or better than any other regulator past or present.

As I said, I didn't get to try the Kraken but the old version I tried was hard to breathe. Maybe that's why modern single hose regulators are the standard, it really doesn't matter how it is mounted on my back.

Cheers
Bill

As I said, I didn't get to try the Kraken but the old version I tried was hard to breathe. Maybe that's why modern single hose regulators are the standard, it really doesn't matter how it is mounted on my back.

Cheers
Bill
Actually it does but no need to de-rail the thread any further than it has been already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom