Scuba Gear for the Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is starting to sound a lot like Scubaboard. Get a BC that fits you well and you can travel with easily. I have BP/W setups, back inflate BCs and hybrids (Complete harness with wing). I really like integrated weights and find them way easier to dive with than weight belts. As for a double hose regulator I would strongly suggest that is way more work than beginner divers need to think about. Get a good modern regulator that is easy for someone to work on if it fails overseas. Modern regulators are lots better and than some of the old ones and safety is your most important wish. Once you get your buoyancy under control then go take pictures and don't obsess about gear.

Bill

At least I'm not too old to remember to look at my SPG and bottom time.
If you want to become an old diver, looking at your spg is everything. :)

Alexy in the Crimean Sea
Alexey Crimea.jpg
Sea

This is starting to sound a lot like Scubaboard. Get a BC that fits you well and you can travel with easily. I have BP/W setups, back inflate BCs and hybrids (Complete harness with wing). I really like integrated weights and find them way easier to dive with than weight belts. As for a double hose regulator I would strongly suggest that is way more work than beginner divers need to think about. Get a good modern regulator that is easy for someone to work on if it fails overseas. Modern regulators are lots better and than some of the old ones and safety is your most important wish. Once you get your buoyancy under control then go take pictures and don't obsess about gear.

Bill

Bill, I wouldl agree with you if we were talking about unmodified older DH regs but you are misinformed about the current state of DH regulators. With the exception of proper cleaning, they are no more work than any other regulator. I will agree they do require proper setup as far as placement on the body is concerned but that is easily learned. The Kraken is a modern regulator that has all the same features as any other modern reg. It uses common AL service parts so any competent AL service person can easily service one. Performance wise, I have had my AK tested on a modern flow bench, it significantly out performed the Scubapro MK-25 and the Atomic Z3 unitl flow rates got way above what any diver could possibly breath. The generalization that they are difficult to dive or unsafe is simply inaccurate.

Wow... thanks guys this is all brilliant information. I am very interested in looking at the AK double hose setup and jumping in the deep end. It's really good though getting varied opinions and information to make informed decisions based on application.

One thing that I do know from all your comments is that I need to focus on perfecting my dive technique and learning the diving, breath control, buoyancy, trim etc before I get too carried away with the photography in some respects.

So I think I am leaning heavily towards the Kraken, Has anyone used the Argonaut 2nd Stage or would you recommend a third party one may be a better option?

Next question what computers are fellow photographers finding most beneficial? I think I'll get a set of analogue gauges anyway as a redundancy but for ease of monitoring while in photographer mode a wrist based computer that displays everything is something likely worthwhile investing in.
Thoughts on below kit as photographers or others that you use? I plan on doing my Nitrox course following Advanced and Rescue so may aswell cover the future plans.

Oceanic VTX
AQUA LUNG i750TC
Suunto EON
Scubapro G2
Divesoft Freedom
Shearwater Perdix or Petrel (The Shearwater is what Im leaning to).

Starting to look at wing setups for BC and that's probably the next question that I'll pose for more in depth recommendations now we've sorted the regs. What other photographers find as most application suitable, D-rings, pocket setups, harness and backplate comfort/portability/weight...

Bvanant
Cheers for the advice, well heeded. I agree its a good idea to continue my development on single hose reg too as I wont be able to get Kraken straight away so will hire single and do a few courses yet to work on technique. If I go Double it will definitely be the modern AK rather than trying to deal with old kit.

Again I am really appreciating the input as I couldnt find any other threads directly related to this from the photographers perspective.

Wow..
So I think I am leaning heavily towards the Kraken, Has anyone used the Argonaut 2nd Stage or would you recommend a third party one may be a better option?

The Kraken is not picky about 2nd stages as it runs in the same IP range as most other regulators. You can use any 2nd stage you like.

This is starting to sound a lot like Scubaboard. As for a double hose regulator I would strongly suggest that is way more work than beginner divers need to think about. Get a good modern regulator that is easy for someone to work on if it fails overseas. Modern regulators are lots better and than some of the old ones and safety is your most important wish.
Bill

The diver in the picture I posted above is using a Royal Aqua Master from the 60's that has been updated with a modern Phoenix first stage which allows for use of 3hp and 3LP devices. Also modern exhaust and diaphragm. He has been using it for about 6 years now and has never had a complaint with it's performance or reliability nor problems getting it serviced in eastern Europe to the best of my knowledge. I agree 100% they are not for everyone nor am I saying everyone should dive one.

The videographer in the picture below used a similar regulator for years until we switched him to an Argonaut Kraken a couple of years back. Unless the specific dive he is doing warrants special gear he won't use anything but a double hose.
Johnathan Argonaut Sharks.jpg

What kind of photographer do you want to be?

- A solodiver, who spent his time during the dive alone with his camera. Most important are images. Most photographers here are solo divers. They can use almost every minute of the dive for photography.

- A diver who is part of a team. Most important are safety of team members and himself. More advanced dives are possible, but there is less time for photography when you are doing solodives.

I started with the first kind of photographer. Now I’m the second kind of photographer. I think it is important for gear and courses you want to follow.

One thing that I do know from all your comments is that I need to focus on perfecting my dive technique and learning the diving, breath control, buoyancy, trim etc before I get too carried away with the photography in some respects.

I don't think you will find very many people (not even on ScubaBoard) that would recommend that you jump right in to photography before developing your diving skills. If you have not progressed to the point where diving is second-nature it's probably not a great idea to be focusing (pun intended) on your viewfinder instead of your depth, buoyancy, bottom time, air consumption, etc. My girlfriend is a new diver and she is just now considering bringing her video camera along and she has about 23 dives. Of course, some divers may progress more quickly than others.

What kind of photographer do you want to be?

- A solodiver, who spent his time during the dive alone with his camera. Most important are images. Most photographers here are solo divers. They can use almost every minute of the dive for photography.

- A diver who is part of a team. Most important are safety of team members and himself. More advanced dives are possible, but there is less time for photography when you are doing solodives.

I started with the first kind of photographer. Now I’m the second kind of photographer. I think it is important for gear and courses you want to follow.

In my case becoming an underwater photographer transformed me into a solo diver. I found I was not paying much attention to my dive buddy but was thinking mainly about getting the shot. In order of importance, the camera became my first priority. I would hate to have me for a dive buddy. But things change--I was diving alone for many years but since my girlfriend started diving she is now my main priority and photography is second and I'm constantly checking to make sure she is AOK 100% before pushing the shutter release button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom