Scuba Gear for the Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you will find very many people (not even on ScubaBoard) that would recommend that you jump right in to photography before developing your diving skills. If you have not progressed to the point where diving is second-nature it's probably not a great idea to be focusing (pun intended) on your viewfinder instead of your depth, buoyancy, bottom time, air consumption, etc. My girlfriend is a new diver and she is just now considering bringing her video camera along and she has about 23 dives. Of course, some divers may progress more quickly than others.
I am pretty sure that most of the SB guys think cameras are tools of the devil and you should never ever take one on a dive.

Cheers

Bill

Bill, I wouldl agree with you if we were talking about unmodified older DH regs but you are misinformed about the current state of DH regulators. With the exception of proper cleaning, they are no more work than any other regulator. I will agree they do require proper setup as far as placement on the body is concerned but that is easily learned. The Kraken is a modern regulator that has all the same features as any other modern reg. It uses common AL service parts so any competent AL service person can easily service one. Performance wise, I have had my AK tested on a modern flow bench, it significantly out performed the Scubapro MK-25 and the Atomic Z3 unitl flow rates got way above what any diver could possibly breath. The generalization that they are difficult to dive or unsafe is simply inaccurate.
I would like to try the Kraken (a bit pricey and a bit big) but with only a single HP port, not going to work for me. I know you guys say it is quite reliable (bubbles don't really worry me, mostly I shoot nudibranchs) but on a recent trip to Indonesia the one guy who had one had lots of troubles. That being said, I understand that the plural of anecdote is not data. In any case, I think for most NEW divers standard commercial dive gear will be a far better way to start.
On a different note (computers) I think get one that you feel comfortable with. We use a bunch of different Suunto computers (Cobras, D9s, D4s, and soon an EON). I really think that RGBM is the "best" of the algorithms currently available but most computers are so good now that there will be no worries.
Bill

What kind of photographer do you want to be?

- A solodiver, who spent his time during the dive alone with his camera. Most important are images. Most photographers here are solo divers. They can use almost every minute of the dive for photography.

- A diver who is part of a team. Most important are safety of team members and himself. More advanced dives are possible, but there is less time for photography when you are doing solodives.

I started with the first kind of photographer. Now I’m the second kind of photographer. I think it is important for gear and courses you want to follow.

That's a great point Barth and a difficult one to answer at this early stage. If attempting Macro I'd be solo (probably rarity) but otherwise I would likely be completing most dives as part of a group or team. At this stage not people I know as I've not made contacts yet so would need to stay with the pack until I get more dives under my belt and get to know others that share the interest.

Definitely more to consider with regards to finding the right equipment and path.

The Kraken is not picky about 2nd stages as it runs in the same IP range as most other regulators. You can use any 2nd stage you like.
Great pics and thanks for the information handy to know.
What are parts and servicing like in Western Australia?
Do any dive shops specifically support you in Australia?
What will availability be like in the coming months?

Last edited:
Cheersthanks f

What are parts and servicing like in Western Australia?
There are probably 15 or so Argonaut Krakens in Australia. Parts all come from me and most divers do their own service. Plenty of double hose divers around Melbourne and Sydney.
Do any dive shops specifically support you in Australia?
I'm not affiliated with any dive shop anywhere.
What will availability be like in the coming months?
Difficult to say. I have closed pre-orders for the 2018 model and how long they will last after I put them in the website store in May I have no way of knowing.
Vintage Double Hose.com message forum and VDH Facebook page are the BEST places for information and updates on the Kraken.

I would like to try the Kraken (a bit pricey and a bit big) but with only a single HP port, not going to work for me. I know you guys say it is quite reliable (bubbles don't really worry me, mostly I shoot nudibranchs) but on a recent trip to Indonesia the one guy who had one had lots of troubles. That being said, I understand that the plural of anecdote is not data. In any case, I think for most NEW divers standard commercial dive gear will be a far better way to start.
On a different note (computers) I think get one that you feel comfortable with. We use a bunch of different Suunto computers (Cobras, D9s, D4s, and soon an EON). I really think that RGBM is the "best" of the algorithms currently available but most computers are so good now that there will be no worries.
Bill

Cheers thanks for the insight. I've heard a little about the Suunto's off my instructor from will definitely look into them.

Do you find the larger displays too cumbersome/uncomfortable or prone to damage?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the EON once you have used it.

Cheers for the response. I'll drop you a PM for some further information if that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom