Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that when practicing the share air exercise the person supplying the air had to (a) have the octo in the 'triangle' area and (b) let the receiving diver take the air supply from them. At least this is what I was taught during DM training.

If I'm using a necklace for my octo, wouldn't I give the OOA diver my primary and switch to the octo under my neck?

I always though this strange and was going to bring it up with a Course Director when I went for my OWSI.

If you have been assisting with OW class and pool sessions think of the video that you have watched over and over. Notice that they also show how to use an Air II (or similar). That is not in the "triangle area".

No where in the teaching materials is it stipulated that the student be taught alternate air sharing by "taking" the alternate. The videos show students taking the alternate, but remember, the videos only show one way of performing any particular skill - there are a number of different ways skills can be performed.

I'd have to say my neoprene shorts with pockets are great. They get pockets off my hog harness and I can use them with either my wetsuit or drysuit.

I like my hose swivel (a 90 degree elbow on my left post first stage). Since I don't have a scubapro MK25, atomic or hog with a LP port on the end, this works great for hose routing.

I'm not a DIR diver.... but many of the kit specifications used by DIR do represent a certain level of economy and functionality. This cannot be said for many of the gadgets available today that merely represent some bright spark in a marketing department who thinks they've found a new way to make a buck at the novice divers' expense.

I'll state this clearly... this isn't a DIR thread.

I was under the impression that when practicing the share air exercise the person supplying the air had to (a) have the octo in the 'triangle' area and (b) let the receiving diver take the air supply from them. At least this is what I was taught during DM training.

If I'm using a necklace for my octo, wouldn't I give the OOA diver my primary and switch to the octo under my neck?

The 'triangle' is deliberately worded to include 'the mouth'...thus allowing primary donation. This enables 'sanctioned' use of primary donation, long hose and AIR2 configurations. It isn't the 'octo' that has to be here... it is the AAS. If the primary is chosen as the AAS to be supplied to the buddy, then that is ok.

I teach with a bungeed AAS. On my recreational kit, I use a 'pull-free' version, so that the reciever can opt for either of the regulators (I teach them to use and understand both primary and secondary AAS donation techniques).

On OW courses, the reciever is expected to obtain the AAS. On rescue courses, the donor supplies it. :)

I just tried the bungeed octo this past weekend, and continued to use my primary with a short hose. I actually very much liked the orientation of things... octo under my right arm then secured with the bungie. Normally my "octo keeper" (all of the three I've tried) comes loose and I end up with a dangly. With the bungee necklace, it stayed neatly in place throughout both dives. I rank that with a good gadget, in my limited experience.

Do I read this as saying that you have bungied the regulator you intend to donate? That's not the way a bungied backup is generally used. Most people put that backup reg on a short hose, and put the longer hose on the primary regulator, and donate that one if it is needed. Donating off a bungied necklace under my chin would make me very uncomfortable -- if you pull hard enough to pull the reg out of the necklace, the bungie recoils with a very nasty sting to the face!

Great Scuba Gadgets:

Oly Pen E-PL1 with Oly Housing and Inon D2000 strobe

LiquiVision X1

Suunto Cobra with Quick Disconnect

Dive Extras X-Shorts

Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Rings (and dry gloves)

Bad Scuba Gadget:

Sealife "Digital Flash"

All "pistol grip" lights

Oxychec Raider IV

Recreationally speaking; on the good side I really like the Apollo Bio Filter, the Atomic second stage Comfort Swivel, the SeaCure mouthpiece. I love my Trident Noise Maker, OtterBox 1000, and of course spring fin straps are great. For surface emergency signalling, the Dive Alert and Big Stick. All of these have served me very well over the years.

On the not so good side, I'm not impressed with Milflex hoses or Spare Air.

Do Donating off a bungied necklace under my chin would make me very uncomfortable -- if you pull hard enough to pull the reg out of the necklace, the bungie recoils with a very nasty sting to the face!

Agreed. That is not a good idea for a donation reg. But, IMO, it is a great location for a tank banger.

Oh, one more GOOD one: a simple rope looped on both ends. To put around your neck to hold the pony reg close and easy to get. My instructor gave me this and I've actually used it once on a safety stop, due to stupid mismanagement of air.

If you have been assisting with OW class and pool sessions think of the video that you have watched over and over. Notice that they also show how to use an Air II (or similar). That is not in the "triangle area".

No where in the teaching materials is it stipulated that the student be taught alternate air sharing by "taking" the alternate. The videos show students taking the alternate, but remember, the videos only show one way of performing any particular skill - there are a number of different ways skills can be performed.

I haven't actually sat in on a class since something like March. I finished my DM back then, spent the summer diving for fun and just did a DSD Leader internship before the shop closed down classes for the holidays.

I guess it is a good thing I've switched shops. I'll talk to the CD at the new shop, in the New Year, to see if there are any other things I need to relearn. :shakehead:

Oh, and I guess I can start using a octo necklace with the BP/W setup I'm buying from the new shop. :D

Spring straps are the near the top of my list. I also really like my neoprene mask case for when I am traveling rather than the bulky box that the mask came in.

Back
Top Bottom