Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the LP Miflex hoses don't impress me. I've seen them fray a bit, resulting in sharp plastic bits (something I don't want around my neck seal). The HP ones definitely suck.

You meant Miflex low pressure regulator hoses, I think. The ones that are not prone to spontaneous disintegration, from what I have read here.

Do Milflex make a High Pressure regulator hose!?!?!? :shocked2:

:wink:

For the recreational diver who doesn't want a 5- or 7-foot hose encircling him, a 90〫fitting on an octopus-length hose and routed under the arm is a nicely streamlined alternative. I'm not sure if that counts as a swivel or not.

I'd count that as a swivel...and I'd say it was pretty unnecessary for that purpose. It comes down to proper hose routing and positioning of the 1st stage. There's countless tech divers who route a long hose in a streamlined fashion without needing to add more metal to their rig...

good Gadget:
A lp hose Air Nozzle A dive buddy showed me this and now I want one... seems to work really well..

This is what inspired my thread... :wink:

Why is it a good gadget? Why do you want one?

Does it provide a critical functionality that cannot be achieved by other means?

It is perfectly legal to use a bungied backup when teaching PADI classes.

I love neoprene mask straps, too, although I'm not fond of the Velcro ones.

Spring straps simply rock. It's not so much that they don't break, although they break very rarely. (I've certainly had students break straps more often, reefing on them to get the fins secure.) It's that they are SO quick and easy to get on and off. I'd never go back to the days of having to loosen a strap and then try to get it tight enough not to lose the fin.

The Trilobite EZ cut line cutter is a fantastic gadget.

Gadgets I don't like so much: I bought a "spreel" because it seemed like a good idea. For several reasons, including corrosion, it didn't work out and I no longer use it at all.

Magnetic octo holders -- they don't work. The magnets seem like they ought to be very strong, but anything you attach to them ends up coming loose. Too bad; it seemed like a lovely concept.

Manta octo necklace -- the opening is too large for many mouthpieces, and the necklace is too long.

I just tried the bungeed octo this past weekend, and continued to use my primary with a short hose. I actually very much liked the orientation of things... octo under my right arm then secured with the bungie. Normally my "octo keeper" (all of the three I've tried) comes loose and I end up with a dangly. With the bungee necklace, it stayed neatly in place throughout both dives. I rank that with a good gadget, in my limited experience.

I don't like the z knife and scabbard. I really like the z-knife idea, but all of them I've futzed with just don't stay seated in the scabbard well enough and are easily lost. I suppose a tether would prevent that, but I wasn't smart enough to add a tether from the get-go so I've already lost one knife.

It is perfectly legal to use a bungied backup when teaching PADI classes.

I was under the impression that when practicing the share air exercise the person supplying the air had to (a) have the octo in the 'triangle' area and (b) let the receiving diver take the air supply from them. At least this is what I was taught during DM training.

If I'm using a necklace for my octo, wouldn't I give the OOA diver my primary and switch to the octo under my neck?

I always though this strange and was going to bring it up with a Course Director when I went for my OWSI.

This is what inspired my thread... :wink:

Why is it a good gadget? Why do you want one?

Does it provide a critical functionality that cannot be achieved by other means?

Divers-supply.com Scuba Nozzle

I would not go so far as to say it is critical more like very handy. I like it because I always have extra air in my tank at the end of my dive and, I can use this tool to get the excess water out of my reg, light and what ever else in need to dry off. Basically it saves you form huffing and puffing.

Edited for brevity:

So folks... I am interested in your experiences and views. What 'gadgets' would you rate highly? What gadgets do you feel are worthless, dangerous or simply a waste of money?

I'll start:

GREAT GADGETS :D

DIR gear.

BAD GADGETS :shakehead:

Non-DIR gear

i'll add seacure as a personal fave great gadget, and take off the miflex hoses - the long ones give you neck rug-burn.

GOOD: Spring Fin Straps. Best $40 I've spent. But I've read on SB that they can give your feet a painful rub and don't fit that great if you have no booties like in the tropics. Am surprised no other warm water folks haven't said this.
Apollo Bio Tank Lock. "Never have a tank slip again". Except one of the new AL80s I bought that has real shiney paint. No need to wet the BC straps first anymore. I heard they even have something better out now that is in some way "hydrolic".
Suspenders for weight belt. Need them, have small hips. No worries at all about belt slipping, but buddy must know to release integrated wts. first and if needed, how to wiggle off the suspenders to release the belt. I think the shoulder harness is probably better for that.
Netting for tank. Not for looks. This keeps the Bio Tank Lock from letting that one tank slip.

BAD: Tank Banger. It's probably me, but no matter where I placed it I could barely hear it and my buddy not at all. But it serves as a good strap, along with the knife strap, to attach my small poke spear to my leg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom