Scuba equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually the gear rental is included in the certification class fee. Get your own mask, fins and snorkel, let the shop supply the rest. That way you get to try out some equipment for free.

Try and get your dad to drive you to the dive store for you lessons. If he hangs around there long enough he will probably buy himself new gear and you can get his old stuff.

I know this is a pretty late reply but if you are still buying I would completely recommend the Aqualung Pearl i3. I have the women's version and absolutely love it. Instead of and inflator hose you have a little lever on the left-hand side. Pull it up and you go up. Push it down and you go down. It's really sensitive too and great for the price.

I hope you really meant...
Push it up to stop going down.
Push it down to stop going up.

You should not be using BC controls to initiate movements, rather to control position after a change.

Suave... Have you asked your dad to sit sown with you and explain all of his gear? That would be a great primmer.

Pete

Sauve, another thing you can do while you're awaiting your class is to read. I know our local Barnes and Noble usually has several books on scuba diving at the beginner level, that have pictures of the gear and some explanation of diving ideas. Or you could buy the class materials ahead of time, and begin studying. I'm not very familiar with NAUI's written materials, but the PADI Divemaster book (Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, I think it's called) is pretty readable and has a LOT of information in it.

And, of course, as someone has also mentioned, have your dad go through his equipment with you, naming each thing and describing what it does and how it works. That's a great way to reinforce learning.

And if you want one view of gear configuration, HERE's a pretty good article :) (And before anybody jumps on me for linking to that, at least it goes through pretty much all the equipment, and has pictures!)

I was also going to recommend the PADI encyclopedia. I'm not in 100% agreement with it's discussion of equipment, but there are many choices about scuba gear and nobody would agree on everything. The other chapters have lots of great information as well.

OMG i have a couple of books already.. I love to read up on stuff so i've been doing a lot of that:) My dad doesn't have any actually scuba gear of his own. He is certified but hasn't been for a while (excluding last summers dive) He has a prescription maks, fins, snorkel but that is pretty much it.. i ask him questions here and there if i don't understand what i am reading.

i don't need him to drive me to the shop or anything since I recently got my license:] So tomorrow I am going to go down the my LDS and check out some of the equipment.

As for a wetsuit... Would it be worth my money to get trained to use drysuits? maybe 4 years ago I had a wetsuit that I used mainly for bodyboarding and such on the beach. I live near S.F. and the water gets pretty cold. I can only imagine how much colder it would be down deeper... yikes...

1. Mask, snorkel, fins

2. Exposure suit (e.g. wetsuit)
3. Bouyancy Control Device (BCD)
4. Regulator, with gauge console (pressure gauge, depth gauge, compass)

5. Tank
6. Timing device; computer
7. Lots AND LOTS of other stuff
a. Writing devices (slates, Wet Notes)
b. Signaling devices (mirror, whistle, horn)
c. Cutting devices (shears, knife)
d. Light
e. Camera
f. (Almost endless list of additional gear)
You forgot to mention the first and most important thing, a very good job to pay for it all (or a generous Dad or Mom).:D:

SUAVE asked about drysuit....Depends on where you dive? I dive SoCal with 50-60F water and a drysuit is a very good thing. Divers in WA (40-50F), well there it is more than a good thing as the water is just a tad cold.

Ok so I am going to go ahead and guess that learning to use a drysuit will be a VERY good thing to do.. i can't stand the cold.. So I guess I'll plan to do that at some point..

And it's funny you bring up the job issue.. haha. I just started applying.. so wish me luck:]]

I suggest to all my students that they try a few different brands of rental gear before they buy. Especially masks!

I completely agree with this! IMO, the mask is one of the most important things to have that is yours and just right for you.

I just got certified, and wish I had done this (rented before I bought one). I exchanged my mask 4 times before finding the one I loved, and the dive shop was probably getting pretty annoyed with me! haha!

But the one I ended up with is perfect for me, and so far, no problems diving with it at all. We did 2 days of 2 dives in Costa Rica recently and I didn't have to clear it once. It makes a big difference in how much air you use.

Good luck! :)

I would agree with everyone on trying out different gear before you buy. I was just certified in May, and with my LDS I was able to try a couple of different brands and styles of gear. They were very helpful and wanted me to get the equipment that was right for me. I have made the plunge and bought my gear, I went with the...
Aqualung pearl i3 (bcd)
Sunto Cobra (dive computer)
Aqualung micro (reg)
I love all the gear that I bought.

You are doing a very smart thing by checking in to what gear you need.

The only advice I can really give with being new to diving is don't be afraid to ask questions. My LDS is very helpful and informative, I did my research and the dive shops in my area and picked the right one for me.

Back
Top Bottom