SCUBA Diving, Urban Legends and Mythbusters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about drinking 5 beers a night for 3 weeks before your Liveaboard Dive Holiday increases your tolerence to Narcosis

I have some friends who despise a diveshop named Narcosis, so they might actually agree with this!:D

Your dive count be should greater than your post count.

You should buy a BP & Wing first.

and...

Attending DEMA will help your business!

If you place your mask on your forehead when not actually in distress, you will die.

Masks are designed so that, the exact instant you place them on your forehead, an ambulance and rescue helicopter will be deployed to assist you because everyone knows a diver only puts their mask on their forehead when they are in serious distress. The nearest Chamber will also be automatically activated.

How about drinking 5 beers a night for 3 weeks before your Liveaboard Dive Holiday increases your tolerence to Narcosis

That (or the equivalent) is why I never have to worry about narcosis.

you mean I've been getting sloshed for nothing?

you mean I've been getting sloshed for nothing?
Possibly. But I have my own reasons for getting sloshed. :D

Posted via Mobile Device

Possibly. But I have my own reasons for getting sloshed. :D

Posted via Mobile Device

yeah, but if I tell people that, they won't think I'm an alcoholic... :wink:

Ok, we've had some good suggestions and a lot of fun. I've narrowed the results down to some of the ones that I think were among the best and actually capable of being put to a test.

I'm posting the "winners" here and later I'll go back and "clean up" the wording a bit. Then I'll propose some thoughts on how we might verify some of them.

If anyone wants to add some more suggestions, now is the time!

In the event of a first stage failure you can take the reg off a tank and sip air directly from the valve.

A ruptured low pressure hose will drain a tank before you can shut the valve off.

You can use a wing as rebreather in an emergency.

Spare Air is adequate for a safe ascent from 130'

"diving with a metal detector will attract sharks"

if you pee in your wetsuit - it does attract sharks.

Plastic buckles are a more prone to failure.

using a webbed glove will allow one to swim faster in a serious rescue situation.

Titanium regs will blow up if used with nitrox

you fill a tank with Nitrox, it must be O2 clean first or the whole shop will blow up.

Will water get into a tank if it is brought back on board with only 100 psi.

How dirty can a tank be before it will explode when filling with pure O2.

Does the air pressure on the INSIDE of a scuba tank increase as the diver ascends?

Nitrox make you feel less tired.

The pee will rinse out of your wetsuit.

Menstrual blood is "dead" blood and therefore does not attract sharks.

Sharks are attracted to divers riding scooters because of the electo-mechanical signal given off.

Bungied wings cause turbulence in the water, creating drag.

You can't orally inflate a bungied wing at depth.

7' hose will cause a decrease in regulator performance.

A 7' hose will give you a couple of extra breaths if you go OOA due to the extra volume.

pissing in a wetsuit ruins it (especially if its a rental)

you can't seal a mask with a beard or mustache

The early hard hat divers did not have a check valve on their air supply lines and if the air ran out the water pressure would force their bodies up into the helmet!

Don't forget that drinking Ice Tea at certain dive resorts will cause Decompression Symptons

I'm still trying to perfect the following scuba prank. Get a bunch of cylinders and put them at the bottom of a pool while the victim is on the surface talking to their students. Have some friends help open the tank valves at the same time. I'm trying to get enough air coming out so the person sinks to the bottom but all that is happening with 3 tanks so far is that the person on the surface gets pushed to the side. We're going to try 6 tanks next time.

Masks are designed so that, the exact instant you place them on your forehead, an ambulance and rescue helicopter will be deployed to assist you because everyone knows a diver only puts their mask on their forehead when they are in serious distress.

Your dive count be should greater than your post count.

And yours isn't?

Another thing to test which should be verifiable...

There is a depth at which the water pressure would equal the air pressure inside even a full tank. If you open the valve at that depth, the water pressure holds the air in. (Might need a deep sea submersible to test this witha full tank.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom