Scuba Diving Society in Yilan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Came across a news article about the finding of a lost bus, which mentions a "Scuba Diving Society in Yilan"

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/ilan/2011/05/12/302065/Divers-find.htm

A Long shot, but would anyone happen to have any contact details (En or Cn speaking) for that "society" in Yilan ?

I've searched using various Search engines, but cannot find any webpage (Cn or En language) and would like to, to perhaps check out the diving on East coast.

Cheers

Last edited:
There is a dive shop across from Yilan University, they probably have information, I'll get the number tomorrow. I've been too busy but have been meaning to dive with them this summer. If you want to dive in Yilan I would love to tag along.

The phone number is (03) 9352255

YilanDiver,

Thanks for the phone number, will check it out and see if they can arrange some dives over that side of coast in the coming months. As happens also, we located a small dive boat and dive guide over there (probably same place you located), and last Sunday made a two dive trip with 7 others out to Turtle Island, diving in the 'volcanic' area of underwater bubbling hot springs and sulphur flumes .. pretty unique though a bit smelly on the surface !! Will post a few pics when I get around to sorting.

If you are using FB - send me a pm with your address, and I'll add you as am trying to build connections with most of the guys/gals who are diving up N/E coast. Why not get yourself over to LongDong coming weekend, water temps are right now, and though I've not been in the water there this year, some mates have and it's looking good, so I may head that way on Sunday.

Cheers

YilanDiver,

and last Sunday made a two dive trip with 7 others out to Turtle Island, diving in the 'volcanic' area of underwater bubbling hot springs and sulphur flumes .. pretty unique though a bit smelly on the surface !!

A couple friends of mine have discussed trying out Turtle Island this summer, but none of us have been there yet. How would you rate the marine life? visiblity? value for your money?

Hi Makhno,

The dive in the 'sulphur' flumes was unique, a fair bit of unusual life, thousands of weird crabs, unusual fish and a feeling of 'being boiled' with all the bubbling hot water outlets - I'd rate it as a 'one off' that had to be done, and I enjoyed it. Topside the mixture of desiel fumes and sulphur smell really was a little too much for several, and all were eager to get in the water - so if doing the dive, for sure take some seasick pills even if you don't suffer normally - having said that, I was fine, just didn't enjoy the smell !

Second dive, close to the harbour on island, fresh 'sulphur free' water, shallow, rocky, unusual corals, plenty of macro and larger life, nothing too unusual but plenty of life and a nice simple dive following the island N shoreline.

Would I make the trip to Yilan again for the same dives, yes for sure, cost's were less than if I headed to Kenting, quicker for me to get to, boat was small but OK, Yilan DM we met was a nice guy and in coming weeks we'll be heading over there again to check out some further sites, including a war ship wreck that is over that way.

Let me know if you fix dates for a Turtle Island trip, as if in need of numbers (max 8 on boat) to keep costs low, maybe will join you.

Cheers, and will post some pics from Turtle Island dives in coming days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom