Scuba Diving in Roatán Honduras - June 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Summer diving in Roatán is always very special. It is a time when massive schools of baitfish, locally known as silversides, aggregate in caverns, wrecks and all manner of places to spawn. Their murmurations are absolutely hypnotic and are reminiscent of fireworks being set off. I can never get enough of their incredible spectacle.

During this one-week trip in June 2022, we had the great fortune to dive the Dolphin's Den with our friends at Dive Pangea in Camp Bay. We also joined Reef Gliders in West End for a memorable excursion to the Seamounts of Cayos Cochinos. The rest of the week was spent with our good friends at Barefoot Divers hitting up many of our favourite sites such as D2T, Cemetary Wall, Mary's Place, Mr. Bud and the Menagerie to name a few.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your comment. I can't imagine what Roatan must have been like back then before it was discovered. I have seen photos of West Bay in the early 90s and it was almost entirely undeveloped. I am sure the reefs must have been spectacular.

My timeframe on Roatan is only the last ten years and, even in that period, I have seen a considerable decline. In my view, stony coral tissue loss disease has been the most significant culprit in recent years, although poor land use, pollution and overfishing continue to be major drivers.

The pillar corals on the south side were strong and vibrant prior to the pandemic but SCTLD wiped them out in only 2-3 years. Most of the hard corals are under threat although the acroporas seem to be resisting. Fortunately, the soft corals are generally fairing well.

Cheers,

Doug

That’s an excellent video! I’ll be sure to check out your YouTube channel

Thanks very much, Mattfish! I am glad that you enjoyed it!

Great film. Rock solid technique.

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Rous!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom