Scuba Diving in Lake Superior for 'Glowing rocks' sodalite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love black lights while diving. Being able to find such cool pieces underwater is just often.

Very cool, indeed! I'm always on the lookout for better lighting options. Mind if I ask what lights you use and what wavelength UVs it produces?

It really does. Mind if I ask what lights you use?
Thanks,

DD

We are using these lights: Aqualite-S UV-395

plus this same lamp: Aqualite Pro 100

We have them mounted on a soft Goodman handle (the one that comes with the light is crappy). During a recent trip we did not want to bring our can lights so we brought these (plus our regular back up lights). They worked great for night dives.

We are using these lights: Aqualite-S UV-395

plus this same lamp: Aqualite Pro 100

We have them mounted on a soft Goodman handle (the one that comes with the light is crappy). During a recent trip we did not want to bring our can lights so we brought these (plus our regular back up lights). They worked great for night dives.

Thanks, SS! I see they also use the 395nm UV LEDs that my OrcaTorch use. Do you use them with a GorPro? I found that my GoPro 5 is sensitive to UV and the colors wash out. I purchased an aluminum housing by Luxebell that not only protects it but allows for the addition of the fairly common sized 52mm filter. By adding a 52mm UV filter to the lens it actually brings out the colors better. Odd when you think that the UV filter is actually designed to attenuate UV.
Note the Luxebell housing is a skeletal one.

DD

The uv is the excitation source, the florescence ie. "colors" are in the visible range. The uv filter is in essence removing the back ground light so the colors pop.

The uv is the excitation source, the florescence ie. "colors" are in the visible range. The uv filter is in essence removing the back ground light so the colors pop.

True. And wavelengths matter. I may do a comparison video showing the difference in the 365nm LEDs that I use for the surface shots and compare them to the 395nm UVs that the above mentioned lights use. To my knowledge, there isn't a dive light available that offers the lower frequency.
I also add a ZWB2 filter to further isolate the WL and it seems to help considerably. The biggest problem I found with the 395nm UVs is that they're too close to the visible spectrum and cast a noticeable amount of blue light, detracting from the desired effect.
Are you a 'rock hound', arew+4?

DD

Not really, I used to have a small collection as a kid, and i love the exhibits at the Smithsonian. I do a bit of spectroscopy at work, you could also buy a uv-pass filter for your source. They can really cut down the visible portion hitting your subject. Edmunds Optical sells many different types.

Glad to hear you liked the video. I'm enjoying the new software and will put out a couple more videos before the holidays.
Nice, thanks for sharing! What's your new software?

@Diverdon
You have single handed created new and exciting diving activity...

I sincerely hope you begin sharing these dives with your local service clubs and other members of your community.

Keep up the great work!
Sam

Thanks, Sam. I have made some connections with community leaders and am formulating plans for 2019. You'll continue to see posts from me here. I've had a few folks approach me offering help in my clean up efforts too.

DD

Back
Top Bottom