Scuba diving in Lake Superior~A clean up dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How sad. I wouldn't have considered Marquette out in the boonies...

10 seconds on Google led me here. Curbside recycling is readily available.
Garbage, Recycling, Compost, Rubbish – City of Marquette

None of this is meant as a criticism of the OP. Not at all. However, to take garbage out of a lake, only to dump it into a landfill site isn't really fixing a problem, it's just relocating it.

Stoo, I live in the Chicago area. Da Yoopers are in the boonies. :wink:

I was getting ready to leave for my last Lake Michigan charter of the season (Milwaukee) so no time to look.

Nice job, but I have a question...

Are there no recycling bins there? If looked like the bulk of what you collected was cans and these should be recycled, not just dumped into the garbage. If there are no bins there, then perhaps you could take the cans back home and recycle them there.

Mrs. Stoo and I routinely pick up garbage when we're hoofing around the islands here in Tobermory. Most of it is plastic waste that has washed up on shore, or those damn helium balloons. Most of it isn't recyclable, but anything that is, goes into the appropriate bins when we get back to shore.

:rofl3: Recycling bins or trash cans doesn't mean a whole lot, to a whole lot of people I'm afraid.

I am an avid metal detectorist and for many, many years I have hunted our beaches, schools, parks, etc, and the one common thing I see is that PEOPLE ARE PIGS!!

I've been in our public parks seeing Tim's cups, McDonalds wrappers and all sorts of other junk tossed about, and there are bins everywhere! People just don't care, and figure that somebody else will look after their mess.

How many times have you been sitting at a light after you've come off the highway, and seen the car in front of you open his/her door and empty their ashtray, or garbage out onto the side of the road? Sadly I see it daily.

I admire that you and the Mrs. pick up the trash just like @Diverdon, but I wish there was more of us.

It amazes me the amount of crap that we walk over (that could seriously hurt us or our kids), that is only a few inches underneath our feet (bare feet quite often).

Sorry I didn't mean to go on a rant, but piggish people just tick me off. :(

Okay you may now go back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

By the way........Don, another good video. :thumb:

:rofl3: Recycling bins or trash cans doesn't mean a whole lot, to a whole lot of people I'm afraid.

I am an avid metal detectorist and for many, many years I have hunted our beaches, schools, parks, etc, and the one common thing I see is that PEOPLE ARE PIGS!!

I've been in our public parks seeing Tim's cups, McDonalds wrappers and all sorts of other junk tossed about, and there are bins everywhere! People just don't care, and figure that somebody else will look after their mess.

How many times have you been sitting at a light after you've come off the highway, and seen the car in front of you open his/her door and empty their ashtray, or garbage out onto the side of the road? Sadly I see it daily.

I admire that you and the Mrs. pick up the trash just like @Diverdon, but I wish there was more of us.

It amazes me the amount of crap that we walk over (that could seriously hurt us or our kids), that is only a few inches underneath our feet (bare feet quite often).

Sorry I didn't mean to go on a rant, but piggish people just tick me off. :(

Okay you may now go back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

By the way........Don, another good video. :thumb:

Yup. I walked 18 holes yesterday. I wind up picking up a few wrappers and bottles each round. It doesn't matter if it's a budget course or a pricey course. People are slobs.

Thanks, Geobound! I bet most of us have witnessed pigs in action. Though Idont witness it very often, I do find their litter in the lake. Out of sight out of mind I guess. What I don't understand is how they feel it's ok to ruin the environment for future generations to deal with.
I'm glad those who post on here are of the mind that it's a problem that needs addressing.
I'll continue to do my part.

DD

Thanks, Geobound! I bet most of us have witnessed pigs in action. Though Idont witness it very often, I do find their litter in the lake. Out of sight out of mind I guess. What I don't understand is how they feel it's ok to ruin the environment for future generations to deal with.
I'm glad those who post on here are of the mind that it's a problem that needs addressing.
I'll continue to do my part.

DD

One thing I would like to get into at some point is one of the "green diver" programs. I'm trying to find a buddy so I can at least log a few dives at this point. Baby steps.

One thing I would like to get into at some point is one of the "green diver" programs. I'm trying to find a buddy so I can at least log a few dives at this point. Baby steps.

If you have an LDS with such a program, I'd recommend that you do so. Cleaning up local dive sites is certainly rewarding, but, our local dive shop closed years ago, and with the nearest one almost a hundred miles away, we have no such options here.
I'd like to see more done to address invasive species as well. We don't have lionfish, but the Zebra and Quagga mussels have done great damage and now the Great Lakes are being threatened by Asian Carp. Awareness is nice but much more needs to be done to stop these greater threats.
Do as much as you can, I say.

DD

When I was driving back down the Bruce Peninsula last Sunday night, I saw three brown bags (likely from McDonalds) in the middle of the opposite lane. If you don't know, Tobermory sits at the end of this 100 km peninsula. A lot of it is wetland, or forested, and a huge section is a UNESCO site as well as a National Park. In other words, it's beautiful, wild country.

I didn't stop to pick it up and I should have... late, raining, dark, traffic. But seriously, why couldn't someone wait until they got home to get rid of that.

But ya, so people are just turds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom