Scuba diving in Lake Superior~A clean up dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Lake Superior has been temperamental lately so I'm posting a short video from earlier in the season. I originally posted on a local Facebook group trying to make folks aware that its not OK to discard things in the water. Its only 2 and a half minutes and I think everyone with a GoPro should do one of these. Well, anyone who uses water...

Feel free to share.

A pleasure to wake up to a bright California sun , turn on the computer and view your latest video …

Please take both your hands and give yourself a big pat on the back for cleaning up your small portion of the UW world and documenting it for others less fortunate who will never visit it to see the damage a can of a scrape of paper creates

Another job well done ! Bravo !

Sam Miller, 111

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I just wanted to remind folks that we need to be more conscientious of how we treat our environment.
I hope to have a few more before Lake Superior completely rebuts my efforts to show you her beauty.
Already I've been kicked out twice this week for trying to take video when she wasn't ready.
Thanks again for watching.

DD

Nice job, but I have a question...

Are there no recycling bins there? If looked like the bulk of what you collected was cans and these should be recycled, not just dumped into the garbage. If there are no bins there, then perhaps you could take the cans back home and recycle them there.

Mrs. Stoo and I routinely pick up garbage when we're hoofing around the islands here in Tobermory. Most of it is plastic waste that has washed up on shore, or those damn helium balloons. Most of it isn't recyclable, but anything that is, goes into the appropriate bins when we get back to shore.

@Stoo

Recycling isn’t as widespread in the US as it is other places. As the OP lives in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t have recycling at home.

@Stoo

Recycling isn’t as widespread in the US as it is other places. As the OP lives in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t have recycling at home.

How sad. I wouldn't have considered Marquette out in the boonies...

10 seconds on Google led me here. Curbside recycling is readily available.
Garbage, Recycling, Compost, Rubbish – City of Marquette

None of this is meant as a criticism of the OP. Not at all. However, to take garbage out of a lake, only to dump it into a landfill site isn't really fixing a problem, it's just relocating it.

Nice job, but I have a question...

Are there no recycling bins there? If looked like the bulk of what you collected was cans and these should be recycled, not just dumped into the garbage. If there are no bins there, then perhaps you could take the cans back home and recycle them there.

Mrs. Stoo and I routinely pick up garbage when we're hoofing around the islands here in Tobermory. Most of it is plastic waste that has washed up on shore, or those damn helium balloons. Most of it isn't recyclable, but anything that is, goes into the appropriate bins when we get back to shore.

Unfortunately, the local recycling facility will only accept clean cans and plastic. I will gladly pick trash up from the lake; it reeks once out of the water which sets the little lady back, but also the crust requires much more cleaning than I believe it is worth. I refuse to bleach cans and scrub them so they can be recycled, that's a resource waste of another kind. I wish there was an easy solution and I'm open to suggestions.

Tobermory? My wife and I were there many moons ago and I'd love to go back soon. Funny thing is Tobermory is only about 6 or 7 hours away but we've not had an opportunity to return in probably ten years.

I will revisit this thread if there is a better answer. Perhaps I will find a way for this kind of stuff to be recycled for next season.

DD

@Stoo

Fortunately we do, Marie13. But it's a finicky thing. They stopped accepting glass recently because of the high cost so it seems TPTB can afford to be selective in their environmental efforts.
What do you?

DD

And such is the problem with leaving waste management to the private sector.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can, so that's a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom