Scuba diving dream for MD patient on a ventilator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jim,
Actually I have a couple friends working on a new life support system for me. It will be half vent/half rebreather. Luck helps, persistence is what gets me through all this. Thanks for your thoughts. Take care and see you below some day. Matt :D

Matt the Wonder Boy:
I love everything to do with underwater life too. (especially SHARKS!)
Matt my man,

Best of luck with your diving. With the guts and determination you've shown, I reckon you should think about training for divemaster!

You said you like sharks. Well, here's a local species that doesn't bite. Once you're all squared away, come on down to Sydney and we'll go diving. I'll show you where this one lives!

Cheers for now, and stick with it.

Paul :D

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the nice words and best wishes. Divemaster training that would be cool! Pull more dives on then there's a good chance I'd like to do that. Cool shark picture. The shark looks friendly. I'd love to come back to Sydney and dive with you guys. I don't know if I can handle the 25 hour airplane ride. Who knows.

Take care and talk to you again.
Matt

I'm curious if a modified FROPVD (Flow restricted oxygen-powered ventilation device) would work? I assume that you have a respiratory drive to control it yourself? It's simply a "triggered" positive pressure ventilator. Nothing fancy about it, push a button it pushes air. Rig it in lieu of a 2nd and it might work. Then again I could be way off (and you have to have the respiratory drive to trigger it yourself). Best wishes!

Hi MilitantMedic,
Yep we have looked into the pneumatic ventilators and unfortunately they won't work for me. I have some friends that are talking about working on a new life support system here soon a combination of a ventilator I use now and a rebreather. I'm excited, we'll see how things come along with it. Thanks again for writing, I love to hear what other people are thinking! Take care.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom