Scuba Diving Charters in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hleighaz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the board, but I have been reading a lot of the previous posts. Based on the reviews, I have come up with the following scenario. Am I crazy to go out with two seperate companies?

Lahaina Divers - 4 tank dive at the Cathederals and Turtle Town
B &B Scuba - 4 tank dive Molokini Crater and Puu Olai

Any thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

We are planning on staying in Kihei/ Wailea for the diving duration of our trip.

Thanks

Well it's two tank dives with both places so you must have meant two seperate days of diving with each operation.

Send my love to the kids on the B&B boat. I miss em.

Personally, I would call them 2-tank charters, each dive is only 1 tank (duhhh).

Most Hawaiian Islands have a site or sites named Turtle Town but for most Maui County divers Turtle Town is a site very near Red Hill (Pu'u Olai) and Turtle Haven is a site on the NE side of Lanai (Franco's Dive Map).

When you dive Lanai, Cathedrals 1 or 2 are typically an intended dive, but conditions are variable and the boat crew will chose the best sites for that charter (not always Cathedrals or Turtle Haven). Lahaina Divers goes to Lanai in the largest dive boat on the Island (cattle boat), it is only recommended if you get more seasick on smaller dive boats. Extended Horizons is the prefered Lanai charter on SB.

B&B is the least expensive charter on the Island, Al recommends them every time someone asks. Molokini is nearly always the first dive for Kihei charters, with similar conditions permitting for requested sites there. Second dives are usually somewhere along the nearby South Maui Coast, with conditions more variable than Molokini. Today some charters were probably canceled/postponed due to strong winds/swell and those that went to Molokini did not do Red Hill and probably not Turtle Town. The St. Anthony wreck is a popular second in these conditions (deeper/farther off shore).

From my shore location I saw one charter do it's second at the St. Anthony and any others that did not cancel probably did both at Molokini (my favorite).

Your question might be better answered if you tell us the skill level and interests/desires of your divers and the time of year you are coming.

hleighaz:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the board, but I have been reading a lot of the previous posts. Based on the reviews, I have come up with the following scenario. Am I crazy to go out with two seperate companies?

Lahaina Divers - 4 tank dive at the Cathederals and Turtle Town
B &B Scuba - 4 tank dive Molokini Crater and Puu Olai

Any thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

We are planning on staying in Kihei/ Wailea for the diving duration of our trip.

Thanks

Actually it's not a crazy idea. It looks like you've done quite a bit of homework.

Some people don't like Lahaina Divers because they are a large boat, but I found them to be an enjoyable experience. The boat wasn't that full when I used them, so there was a lot of room to move about and the DM-diver ratio was about the same as with B&B, another recommended outfit. The fact that Lahaina Divers was only walking distance from my hotel was another plus.

It will be my hsuband and I both Open Water certified and about 35 dives under our belts (mostly Ocean dives). This will be our second time to Hawaii.

I just came back from Maui. I dove Cathedrals with Extended Horizons. Excellent experience. Chris, Scotty and Victoria thank you.
I recommend them to anybody wanting to dive Lanai sites.

For Molokini dives I chose B&B Scuba. Maybe they had an off day because I wasn't all that impressed after everybody on this board recommends them. But it was fun. I like the fact they leave the dock early.

Turtle town on Lahaina divers is for absolute newbies - shallow, not much to see, and the "turtletown" site is actually a group of sites from lahaina to kaanapali. Trust me, you'll be bored after one dive.

But the Carth is cool - and it's a very easy, deep dive.
Tell Brad and Blesi I said hi too - they're a great operation. Band B is solid, and cheap.
BTW, I have never been on a Lahaina divers boat that was full or even close - Their boats are absolutely the best, and the only time they wouldn't be the best is if they're full, which I've never had happen. I've done probably fifteen trips with them over three years.

If you want shallow dives like turtle town, save the money and ask kidspot to join you for a beach dive - he's a great guide. Six bucks for each tank, bring lunch for kidspot, and you just saved a ton of money.

It's a good plan. Might also consider Ed Robinson's in Kihei. My buddy enjoyed diving with Ed. They did a three tank off the Molokini backside and Ed(himself) found Mantas on their dusk dive.

There's also good shore diving in the Kihei/Wailea area. Around Makena Landing/Five Caves. I also like Wailea Beach but some people find it average. Easy entry and I usually find something interesting out by the point, last time it was a school of pipefish. Where to shoredive:
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/index.htm

Plan on about an hour drive to Lahaina from Wailea. We usually do it in less but even early you sometimes run into local traffic. I was on one of the Lahaina Divers boats to 1st Cathedral, we dove it, then near Sharkfin rock. Midweek there were only 12 of us on the boat. They're 46' Newton diveboats so nice and spacious.

Thanks for the comments and insight. I think we will probably pass on the Turtle town and instead do five Caves, Five Graves which is supposed to be an awesome dive as well.

Back
Top Bottom