Scuba diver drowns off Brooklyn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From the New York Daily Newws, August 27, 2005

Scuba diver drowns off B'klyn

A scuba diver drowned during a trip to the waters off Brooklyn yesterday afternoon, police said.
The victim, 33-year-old Dmitrey Satyukov of Brooklyn, was among a group of divers who took a boat 10 miles off Gerritsen Beach around noon, sources said.

Divers on the 42-foot craft, the Dive Boat Karen, were allotted an hour and a half to scuba dive, but Satyukov didn't surface along with the others, sources said.

The boat's captain, 60-year-old Robert Hayes of Brooklyn, called the Coast Guard, sources said. Rescuers found Satyukov dead underwater about 30 minutes later, at 2 p.m.

Hayes said he had no comment when reached at his Brooklyn home last night. According to a Web site for the Dive Boat Karen, Hayes is a former commanding officer of the NYPD scuba team.

Police said the incident was not suspicious and no charges were filed.

Carrie Melago

Originally published on August 28, 2005

Coqui Diver:
From the New York Daily Newws, August 27, 2005

Scuba diver drowns off B'klyn

A scuba diver drowned during a trip to the waters off Brooklyn yesterday afternoon, police said.
The victim, 33-year-old Dmitrey Satyukov of Brooklyn, was among a group of divers who took a boat 10 miles off Gerritsen Beach around noon, sources said.

Divers on the 42-foot craft, the Dive Boat Karen, were allotted an hour and a half to scuba dive, but Satyukov didn't surface along with the others, sources said.

The boat's captain, 60-year-old Robert Hayes of Brooklyn, called the Coast Guard, sources said. Rescuers found Satyukov dead underwater about 30 minutes later, at 2 p.m.

Hayes said he had no comment when reached at his Brooklyn home last night. According to a Web site for the Dive Boat Karen, Hayes is a former commanding officer of the NYPD scuba team.

Police said the incident was not suspicious and no charges were filed.

Carrie Melago

Originally published on August 28, 2005

If I'm not mistaken, that is part of the Great South Bay, isn't it? On the other side would be Riis Park Beach and Breezy Point? Any further reports on how it happened?

Sad to hear tragic things like this.

pilot fish:
If I'm not mistaken, that is part of the Great South Bay, isn't it? On the other side would be Riis Park Beach and Breezy Point? Any further reports on how it happened?

I think that area is called Mill Basin. No more details have emerged.

Can I ask how the vis is there. Are they treally talking Brooklyn NY the vis can't be too good there can it ?

Can I ask how the vis is there. Are they treally talking Brooklyn NY the vis can't be too good there can it

Yes, They're talking Brooklyn, New York. I dove on that boat last weekend and the vis was horrible 2-3 feet at the most, because of a recent plankton bloom. I heard that two weeks ago, due to a gulf stream the vis was 30-40 feet. Temperature is around 77 degrees.

Coqui Diver:
pilot fish:

I think that area is called Mill Basin. No more details have emerged.

Small point, I think Mill Basin is east of Geretsin Beach, on the east side of the Marine Park Bridge. Why would anyone want to dive off Geretsin - few fish, no vis, maybe 2 to 4 ft and chilly water?

Geretsin Beach, (not sure if its correct spelling, Garetson Beach?), is where the boat is docked.
Bald Eagle is the wreck where incident happened, it is off shore, but not that far.
Did hear (on radio sat) vis was crappy as Coqui Diver had last week.
Beyond that not much known

I heard on the same day the stolt had 65 feet vis. And blue-ish waters... Due to the hurricane, maybe there was some strage conditions.

Here are the excepts:

http://members3.boardhost.com/Modiver/msg/12933.html
Hi All! Well, yesterday we found caribean like conditions on the Stolt. After leaving Belmar in bumpy conditions, the seas subsided by the time we hit the parking lot. Divers reported being able to see the wreck from the surface. The water was blue and clear. Viz on the bottom was less - but divers reported of 65' of viz on top of the wreck. Hopefully the conditions will continue to persist. Phil and the folks from www.1877scubausa.com were on board as were a couple of folks from Hunterdon Scuba. We had the grill going for burgers and hotdogs between dives and were back to the dock around 3:30.

http://members3.boardhost.com/Modiver/msg/12950.html
11 POBs. There were some 6 or 7 ft rollers as we left the inlet, I thought the captain was going to turn back to the Marina. But he obviously knew something I didn't (not that that's a difficult position to get into)

After a long boat ride, our first stop was the Tolten. The seas were calm and glassy, with an occasional 3 foot swell rolling through. Viz was about 60' from the surface, 15 feet on the wreck itself. Some bugs and a few fluke were taken. Lots of skates and winter flounder were hanging around down there, too. Surface water was high 60's, with a thermocline at 50ft where it dropped down to low 50's.

The Gulftrade stern was our next stop. More picture perfect water conditions, same as the Tolten. At 60 feet, you could look up and watch the divers swimming/snorkeling around the Outlaw while the rest of us were ascending. Again, a few more bugs and some mussels, a ling cod and some sea bass.

Third stop the Maurice Tracey. A light breeze had picked up creating a faint chop to the surface. Nothing bad. The viz was not so great here. About 10 feet from top to bottom. There was a bit of a current on the wreck, but the main story was the monofilament. Every single diver reported having to cut some away from themselves during the dive. Some nice fluke were speared on this dive. Three of us spent the majority of the dive trying to coax a very large lobster from beneath a steel plate, unsuccessfully. The Tracey was full of sea-robbins today, I can't recall seeing so many in once spot.

This was definitly the nicest day I've had out there this year so far, you don't get many like this.

Today I was on the Jeanne II diving the Algol and heard that the autopsy toxicology report for the diver that died at the Bald Eagle, off the Karen, was positive for heroin and cocaine.

Coqui Diver:
Today I was on the Jeanne II diving the Algol and heard that the autopsy toxicology report for the diver that died at the Bald Eagle, off the Karen, was positive for heroin and cocaine.
Whoa?! That's pretty strong hear-say. Could these be confirmed - either way?

Best wishes to the family and friends, should any come on here to investiage what's being said about their loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom