Scuba diver dies while exploring popular shipwreck, a third tragedy in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People mentioned up-thread that depth to the sand is ~130 fsw. This suggests (to me) an air/nitrox dive. So, if someone wanted to do a longish BT, wouldn't it be simpler to dive doubles (Al 80's if diving wet), possibly with an Al 40 deco cylinder, rather than dive a rebreather? After all, he/she wouldn't be concerned with He costs, and he wouldn't want to incur a very long deco obligation in open water.

rx7diver

I could but at on deep dives I'm not happy with the bottom times following rules of thirds. Plus with the revo the He bill is pretty low and narcossis is not an issue at all. Depending on helium cost a trimix fill for it would be less in gas cost then the doubles nitrox fill with much longer dive times.

Plus the rebreather is lighter out of water then the doubles configuration would be.

I went CCR for a reason 😁.

But yes someone could deco it with just doubles.

I heard it was settled. But I actually looked it up, it is still ongoing, and pretty active.

Regardless even if they win, they've probably lost tens of thousands in legal fees.

They haven’t lost a penny. We have insurance for this stuff. It doesn’t cost them other than bad publicity and decreased revenue from public opinion.

People mentioned up-thread that depth to the sand is ~130 fsw. This suggests (to me) an air/nitrox dive. So, if someone wanted to do a longish BT, wouldn't it be simpler to dive doubles (Al 80's if diving wet), possibly with an Al 40 deco cylinder, rather than dive a rebreather? After all, he/she wouldn't be concerned with He costs, and he wouldn't want to incur a very long deco obligation in open water.

rx7diver

There’s less deco on a CCR than open circuit. Diving a CCR is still cheaper than diving OC, even at REC levels (not counting cost of entry) but full retail to dive CCR is still under $10/hour at any depth. A single tank of Nitrox costs more than $10.

I could but at on deep dives I'm not happy with the bottom times following rules of thirds. Plus with the revo the He bill is pretty low and narcossis is not an issue at all. Depending on helium cost a trimix fill for it would be less in gas cost then the doubles nitrox fill with much longer dive times.

Plus the rebreather is lighter out of water then the doubles configuration would be.

Not to mention all the safety factor available having 6+ hours of gas if crap hit the fan.

Ah, okay. I was thinking that for a longish dive to 130 fsw, a rEvo diver would still need to sling an Al 80 of bailout gas (1.4 ATA PO2 at MOD = 130 fsw) and an Al40 of oxygen, too, which would make the entire package heavier (?) than a double Al80's + Al40 coufiguration. And then there is the pre-dive and post-dive preps required for diving a rebreather.

rx7diver

Ah, okay. I was thinking that for a longish dive to 130 fsw, a rEvo diver would still need to sling an Al 80 of bailout gas (1.4 ATA PO2 at MOD = 130 fsw) and an Al40 of oxygen, too, which would make the entire package heavier (?) than a double Al80's + Al40 coufiguration. And then there is the pre-dive and post-dive preps required for diving a rebreather.

rx7diver

Building a rEvo takes less than 15 minutes by someone proficient. A Choptima takes even less time. A sidewinder takes 14 weeks.

They haven’t lost a penny. We have insurance for this stuff. It doesn’t cost them other than bad publicity and decreased revenue from public opinion.
Imagine if the world knew that rainbow reef certified Deborah Snow:shocked:

rx7diver

For that dive I would prefer to sling a 72 of deep bailout and a 72 of 50 percent deco bail out. If I can't get 72's then yes I would use 80's

My revo ready to dive is around 60 pounds, I think I haven't actually weighed it.

Double AL 80's are 64 pounds plus the bands and manifold. In addition I would need to add lead to account for tank weight swing as they are breathed down, with double AL tanks that is a ouch. I don't know anyone using double AL tanks for that reason, they use double steel tanks.

Add in that following rule of thirds and established sac rate calculations double 100's gets me about 30 minutes at 130. Less for 80's. The rebreather my limit is sord where if the poop really hits the fan is 6hrs. I would plan it at total time is 2 hrs.

Oh and I could probably do it 3 times maybe more on that one diluent trimix fill.

Damn you guys now I want a couple other CCR guys and plan a multi level Speigel dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom