Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

So much speculation and second guessing. So many comments without any foundation or knowledge. Australia is generally quite good with these investigations and I am sure at some point cause and or contributing factors will come out for us all to learn from.

Some have expressed their thoughts on "it can happen to anyone anytime". There is a degree of truth in this but there are things we can all do in an attempt to control this risk. some thoughts are:
- always do your buddy/gear checks - no matter how experienced we are
- always stay close to you buddies - if something goes wrong you want them to be able to see you and respond quickly. It will also reduce the chance of getting seperated.
- dont hang in there low on air just because your buddies have plenty, as a buddy remember, we were probably on the other side of that in our early diving times.
- if something is not right in the dive - abort. A good buddy will respect you more for playing it safe than hanging in there.

Many wont appreciate these comments unless they have found themselves as part of a terrible event. Then it will make great sense. To many of us think it wont happen to us. IT CAN!

In this sad time I believe our thoughts shoud be with Marcia's family and friends for their loss and very much also with those that were diving with her who now have to live with the memory of this for the rest of their lives.

Thanks

I've seen many accidents and incidents threads with lots of speculation and other posts with people defending such as theorizing is part of the forums rules...

I know Quero was huge part of our community but I don't see the harm in theorizing based on current information as being harmful as long as its within the rules...

There really isn't a lot of information to theorize on at the moment and I'd really hate to see a bunch of rampant speculation.

An experienced, competent diver dies in few scenarios, IMO:

1 - overwhelmingly complacency - a small matter blows up huge (diver fails MOD on tank)
2 - environment - cave or wreck collapse, or critter (Irukandji ?)
3 - equipment new to them (new drysuit?)
4 - medical

I suspect 2 - 4. Can anyone add to that?

5. They screw up.

I realize that no one wants to believe that someone they've heard of on the internet could screw up and cause their own death, but none of us are infallible. Least of all any of us who dive regularly, professionally, etc. There's no trap like confidence when it comes to being shown how reality differs from the legend in our minds.

Hopefully the dive buddies come forward and tell their story. I won't hold my breath for a medical examiner's report shedding any light on this at all.

I thought this forum was the place to sometimes speculate about what may have happened.

Speculating and theorizing is not against the forum rules.

I know a lot of people are really eager to hear more. I'm one of them. But personally (speaking as a user and not as a moderator) I don't think it helps us much to discuss it until we have a picture of what actually happened.

Quero was a friend to many and a highly respected board member on top of being a seasoned diver. It's logical to have strong need to explain this. I'm kind of hoping that the coroner's report will give us the answers. I know for sure that Quero would have wanted us to have this discussion and it will come. For the time being it's better, in my mind, to just be patient.

R..

There really isn't a lot of information to theorize on at the moment and I'd really hate to see a bunch of rampant speculation.

I've seen two valid speculations based on the limited information (DVT and Drysuit issues, additionally people wondering if getting cold so quick into a dive means anything)... All of this is information that existed beforehand

I haven't actually seen the rampant or totally unjustifiable speculation that exists in many other threads... I say its all good thus far..

Please remember, speculation gives us the opportunity to think of things we may not have before... Especially for newer divers like myself... Regardless of if the true cause is revealed eventually

I'm kind of hoping that the coroner's report will give us the answers.

I hope so as well. My gut tells me this was a medical issue not caused by the dive.

Because so many times we never really know what happened, I thought this forum was the place to sometimes speculate about what may have happened. Isn't this where we say it could have been this or it could have been that and then learn or talk about if it was then what we could do differently in the future to aviod the same situation. Why must speculation be a bad thing? I think it can prove to be very useful.

So many of these after accident threads on SB over the years have started out speculation and quickly degenerated in to finger pointing, wild speculations, squabbling and accusations.

Everyone who knew those involved is just as anxious to know as the rest of the diving population, but there will be no answers until there are results from the investigation.

I was seriously hoping that this thread could stay respectful, and wait to 'dissect the accident' until we have the facts, to then actually hold an intelligent discussion, and possibly learn something of from this event.

...wait to 'dissect the accident' until we have the facts, to then actually hold an intelligent discussion, and possibly learn something of from this event.

I agree. Accident analysis requires some facts. Intelligent discussion of generic accident factors can be ably achieved outside of the Accidents and Incidents forum IMHO.

Hi all,

So much speculation and second guessing. So many comments without any foundation or knowledge. Australia is generally quite good with these investigations and I am sure at some point cause and or contributing factors will come out for us all to learn from.

Some have expressed their thoughts on "it can happen to anyone anytime". There is a degree of truth in this but there are things we can all do in an attempt to control this risk. some thoughts are:
- always do your buddy/gear checks - no matter how experienced we are
- always stay close to you buddies - if something goes wrong you want them to be able to see you and respond quickly. It will also reduce the chance of getting seperated.
- dont hang in there low on air just because your buddies have plenty, as a buddy remember, we were probably on the other side of that in our early diving times.
- if something is not right in the dive - abort. A good buddy will respect you more for playing it safe than hanging in there.

Many wont appreciate these comments unless they have found themselves as part of a terrible event. Then it will make great sense. To many of us think it wont happen to us. IT CAN!

In this sad time I believe our thoughts shoud be with Marcia's family and friends for their loss and very much also with those that were diving with her who now have to live with the memory of this for the rest of their lives.

Thanks

Actually we cannot agree on all of those. For new and newer divers those are ok. But a number of us don't see the need to always dive with a buddy.

I certainly don't. And quite often a buddy is a liability on the dives I want to do when I can do them.

But there is also clear instructions that if something happens to me while diving solo or with a buddy to immediately start to dissect the whole incident. Speculation, conjecture, and even wild ass guessing and monday morning quarterbacking should be done.

In fact I demand that it be done as soon as the news is out. My loved ones know my wishes and have been told to stay away from any threads discussing it. It is not for them.

It is for those who may make a similar mistake, if that was the cause, to avoid making the same one. If I did something stupid I want it broadcast loud and far.

I want to be blamed for it and chastised mercilessly so someone else will think twice about pulling the same stunt.

As a conscientious instructor that is the ethically and morally right thing for me to desire.

My family has no say in this. If they do look and get upset it is their own fault. Not that of the people discussing it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom