Scuba Dive Long Island guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand your feelings towards the water quality if my only exposure underwater was to port Washington or near Reynolds channel, but I assure you, there is some good diving to be done on the island in clean clear water. tons of marine life and very manageable water temps. Give it another shot. On an unrelated note, my company good life divers also offers guided diving :)
whats a typical dive you would recommend?

The answer to that question and many more can be found in the guidebook! haha! Typically, the further east you go the better but during the fall I routinely get 20-30ft of viz in Bayville. I live 7 miles away so all the dives in that area are my normal go to.

The answer to that question and many more can be found in the guidebook! haha! Typically, the further east you go the better but during the fall I routinely get 20-30ft of viz in Bayville. I live 7 miles away so all the dives in that area are my normal go to.

I would imagine that's drysuit diving. Don't have one. Besides... I'm getting old. I'm starting to like florida more and more each day!

@ffdiver
Your avatar reminds me of me and my son - fifty years ago. He was so enthused about diving from the time he could walk--- i rigged a reg with a long hose to a SCUBA tank, placed it on bath room floor and he dove in the bath room every night- was in the Pacific ocean at 5 - Now is a ER/Hyperbaric doctor

I commend you on your efforts to produce an up to date effective New York dive guide.

FYI
The first dive guide was Dive America published in 1955-63 years ago - by the late Hilbert Schneck
The second was Diving West in 1970 almost 50 years ago. The late Ron Merker (@drbills instructor) and I wrote the section for Orange county California.

Since these initial guides there has been very few guides published
So with your publication you join a very prestigious group of divers

Keep up the good work ! ( and don't forget to revise periodically )

Sam Miller, III

I would imagine that's drysuit diving. Don't have one. Besides... I'm getting old. I'm starting to like florida more and more each day!

The effective dive season for a wetsuit 5-7mil is late may until November. I wear a 3mil from June until early September.

For example this is what Shinnecock inlet looks like during the summer. Wetsuit weather, tons of life and just an all around awesome dive site.

@ffdiver I visit Far Rockaway several times per year, so your book should be usefull. I will have to look up your 3 dive local package.

Have you had a chance to dive in Bayswater adjacent to the Bayswater Point State Park along Norton Drive?

There used to be a hotel/resort along the water with some debris now scattered in the water.

thanks for the heads up kohanbash, I'll add it to the list of more sites to reconnaissance.

For example this is what Shinnecock inlet looks like during the summer. Wetsuit weather, tons of life and just an all around awesome dive site.

The inlets on the south shore also host a fair amount of tropical fish that can be seen in the fall. Also seals in the dead of winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom