Scuba Dive Long Island guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know if this is the right forum for this kind of post, if not please move/remove it.

For the past to years we have been working on our guidebook SCUBA DIVE LONG ISLAND: THE DIVER'S GUIDE TO THE BEACHES OF LONG ISLAND, NY.

The books are finally ready to print and will be shipping out early February!

the guidebook contains directions, maps, logistical information on 100 dive sites on Long Island, ranging from easy dives to expert level shore dives. if anyone is interested in pre-ordering a copy please visit our site at:

Scuba Dive Long Island – The Diver's Guide To The Beaches Of Long Island, NY

Thank you for the support!
Danny

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 175
Thanks Natch! Appreciate the support!

There is an older book like this on line now. The Long Island, New York Beach Diving Guide for scuba divers. It is long out dated and wasn't accurate in many respects when it was new. I usually kayak out to beach dives that can not be reached by land access. With the existing kayak launch areas on Long Island i can reach maybe 90% of the shore line by paddling 5 miles or less each way.

Nice work! If the waters were 81degrees with 100ft Viz, I'd be ordering my copy.....

Dan's book was the basis for my own, but just like you said, it was published in 1992 and has needed a massive update. That's why I took the initiative to write my own guide. I keep running into road blocks or private beach access issues that may not have been an issue 30 years ago. Plus I added close to 30 some odd sites and removed many inaccessible ones.

Nice work! If the waters were 81degrees with 100ft Viz, I'd be ordering my copy.....

You are missing out on some very good diving that is possible on the island. But, you can only lead a horse to water... I suppose.

The water does warm up to 75 degrees during the summer months though.

You are missing out on some very good diving that is possible on the island. But, you can only lead a horse to water... I suppose.

The water does warm up to 75 degrees during the summer months though.
I've gone in with with a snorkel and mask to clean the hull and keel of my sailboat a couple of times in port washington. Would much rather pay a professional for his services. I get icky when my daughter, who is 9, likes to jump off the deck with her friends when the brown tide is at its worst in the summer.

I grew up on the south shore water skiing in the marshes and bays north of reynolds channel. Had I known at the time that we were next door to a sewer plant which oozed out millions of gallons of sludge every rainstorm, I would've taken a pass.

That being said, I've seen quite a few dolphins in the sound this year.

I can understand your feelings towards the water quality if my only exposure underwater was to port Washington or near Reynolds channel, but I assure you, there is some good diving to be done on the island in clean clear water. tons of marine life and very manageable water temps. Give it another shot. On an unrelated note, my company good life divers also offers guided diving :)

Back
Top Bottom