Scuba Depth Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5 once bubbled...
The date got pushed back a year, that is why he said they were supposed to do it this month.
Thanks... somehow I missed that reply... I wasn't trying to ignore anyone.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
Not to mention tank pressures are a tangible limit. A full 3000psi cylinder would be "empty", or equalize with ambient pressure, at a little deeper than 6700ft.
Yes, that is far deeper than the 2000ft gas density limit, but it's still a reduction in available gas, and certainly a hard floor which could never be passed no matter what special gasses would be used. Even at 2000ft, you can cut nearly 1000psi from your available gas supply.

I don't see how that's a "hard floor," since it's quite within the realm of reason that a tank could be filled with more than 3000 psi. I think humanity's engineering skills can manage that :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...
I don't see how that's a "hard floor," since it's quite within the realm of reason that a tank could be filled with more than 3000 psi. I think humanity's engineering skills can manage that :wink:
3000psi perhaps... but for any pressure that we are able (or willing) to pack into a cylinder, the sea floor has an equal pressure to negate it. What's max sea floor depth.... 40,000ft? That's nearly 18,000psi.
Theoretically? There may be no limit.
Practically? Not in our lifetime.

Well right now it's easy to find cylinders filled to 4500 psi, and that puts us over 10,000 feet. Who's up for it? :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...
Well right now it's easy to find cylinders filled to 4500 psi, and that puts us over 10,000 feet. Who's up for it? :wink:
Don't forget... that 4500 will be EMPTY at 10,000. Even though it's full, it's equalized with ambient.

Gotta have something to breathe when you get there :naner:

To overcome the lack of air due to tank pressure limitations at extreme depth, couldn't you just take more tanks?

How about filling tanks once their external pressure gets closer to the internal pressure. A tank rated to 3000 psi could hold 3000 psi more once it reaches 3000psi of water, right? I don't know how this would happen... a hell of a hose I guess... or an underwater air compressor? Maybe this is "cheating".

If a support line could be dropped to the bottom of the Marianas trench with tanks all along with pressures that are 3000psi above their _ambient_ pressures, then air supply wouldn't be a limit... just the effects of the high partial pressures of the various gases on the human body.

Gas loading has limits, right? I believe the body can only load so much nitrogen, so it's not like you're looking at 4 days of decompression or something.

Just thinking. I'll think I'll stay a little closer to 1atm for the time being.

Gas loading has limits, right? I believe the body can only load so much nitrogen, so it's not like you're looking at 4 days of decompression or something.

The limit (saturation) is only at each given pressure, but the higher the pressure the higher the gas intake. Thus yes, you could be looking for four days of deco... or even more!

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
To overcome the lack of air due to tank pressure limitations at extreme depth, couldn't you just take more tanks?
How many can you carry? Not enough for any significant time.

How about filling tanks once their external pressure gets closer to the internal pressure. A tank rated to 3000 psi could hold 3000 psi more once it reaches 3000psi of water, right? I don't know how this would happen... a hell of a hose I guess... or an underwater air compressor? Maybe this is "cheating".
The logistics of this would practically require a submarine to be with you. An u/w compressor?

If a support line could be dropped to the bottom of the Marianas trench with tanks all along with pressures that are 3000psi above their _ambient_ pressures, then air supply wouldn't be a limit...
Except that the hose and compressor would have to support that pressure all the way to the surface. You would only be pumping 3000psi above ambient at the max depth. For every 500ft the hose rises, it is holding back an additional 223psi compared to ambient. At 30,000ft deep, pumping into 3000psi would require nearly 17,000psi at the surface.

We're not even getting into the volume of gas consumed by the diver. At a respectable SAC rate of 0.50cfm, at 30,000ft the diver's actual inspired volume would equal 455cfm, or just over 7.5cf/second.
Yes... the diver would drain a 14ft pony in less than 2 seconds.

What size of hose is going to be needed to supply that much gas?

just the effects of the high partial pressures of the various gases on the human body.
"just" the effects? HPNS, narcosis, O2 toxicity.... mixing a tank of trimix for a 1000ft dive can be tricky. Mixing for a 5000ft dive would have you blending a tank with an O2 percentage of less than 0.01%... closer to 0.007%. Not 0.7 percent... but seven THOUSANDTHS of one percent.
Im not takin' responsibility for that mix :)

Look again at the gas laws. The higher the pressure is, the more deeply you can saturate.
You get tired quickly when you go into the mountains because you are currently saturated with inert gasses to the pressure at sea level (roughly, depending on where you live).
You get acclimated to the mountains by.... offgassing! You dump the excess nitrogen load. Now, 5000ft of air is only equivalent to about 7ft of water, so you're in no danger of getting bent, but it still happens.

As far as deep saturation, IIRC you could theoretically spend 4 days decompressing from as shallow as 100ft if you were down long enough. Likewise, depth speeds the process. These record-breaking bounce dives where the diver just touches 900ft for a few seconds require 10-20 hours of deco, and when it was attempted by Sheck Exley, he died (suspected HPNS) and his buddy was STILL bent.

You can pretty much forget carrying enough OC gas to do the bottom time and deco for even a bounce dive beyond about 600 feet. To be self-contained, rebreathers would pretty much be it.

The guys referred to in the first message were using MK11 "surface" supplied rigs or something much like them.

I was assigned to the command that had the US Navy saturation diving school and stood watches as staff duty officer. The divers told me that a rule of thumb to bring a guy up from saturation was one day per hundred feet plus a day. The Master Divers had a more exact computation, but the rule of thumb was good enough for us pencil pushers.

I expect 1 ATM suits to be the answer before they can make ambient pressure diving practical really deep.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom