Scuba Depth Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
As a newly certified diver and after watching a History channel program about the navy using scuba divers to tap into a soviet phone line 500' below the surface, I got to wondering if there was a limit to the depth a diver can go. So I did a little googleing and ran across this web site.
If you haven't seen this yet, some of you divers might be interested.

I see now that "theoretically" there is no limit.

http://www.wr350.com/intro/default.htm

Not to mention tank pressures are a tangible limit. A full 3000psi cylinder would be "empty", or equalize with ambient pressure, at a little deeper than 6700ft.
Yes, that is far deeper than the 2000ft gas density limit, but it's still a reduction in available gas, and certainly a hard floor which could never be passed no matter what special gasses would be used. Even at 2000ft, you can cut nearly 1000psi from your available gas supply.

Narcosis, HPNS, O2tox, all present very real physical and logistical challenges.
For a wet dive to 2000ft, an O2 level of 1.6% would result in a PO2 of about 1.0. That would be an extremely tricky tank to mix, given that O2 analyzers are barely accurate to more than 1%, and are pretty inaccurate when you get much below 10%.

Going deeper further compounds the problem, but even a dive to 1000ft on scuba faces similar challenges.

Realistically, few of us will ever see the far side of 350ft and make it back to talk about. Deeper than that and you get into the realm of "why".
Brass bawls have no place in diving, and 300-400ft is the max depth where you can spend enough time to actually accomplish anything without incurring unrealistic decompression obligations.

Doing it to break a record is a reason, but, IMHO, it's a very stupid reason to do a high risk dive with absolutely zero benefit beyond an ego stroke.
Yes, I view freediving record attempts with the same distain, and Audrey's death was a tragic waste of human life.

Keep in mind that the divers in the link you posted were supposed to have done that dive this month.

Here's a datapoint on hydrogem-oxygen mixtures from GUE's "Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving" book:

"Furthermore, when used exclusively with oxygen, and at great depth, hydrogen has narcotic effects similar to LSD. Following deep diving trials, this mixture has been implicated in long-term phychological changes in saturation divers."

Scary stuff!

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
"Furthermore, when used exclusively with oxygen, and at great depth, hydrogen has narcotic effects similar to LSD.
Ya, but "the other guys" will say that you can get used to it :devil:

Jeez... LSD effects, HPNS... the only thing left is liquid... way more dense, but the O2 and CO2 carrying ability could allow for extremely slow respiration.

HPNS is a common problem with Heliox at depths below about 600'. But ironically enough the solution to this problem is to introduce a little nitrogen into the mix. The slight narcotic effect resulting from the small amount of nitrogen prevents HPNS.

Jim Bowden and Sheck Exley attempted a 1000' dive on scuba in April 1994. Bowden dove to 925 ft, before starting his ascent due to concerns for higher than planned gas consumption and then spent nearly 10 hours decompressing. He still sufferred a DCS hit that had to be treated on site with in water recompression. Exley was less fortunate and did not survive.

No recovery was attempted but his body was recovered 3 days later while equipment was being removed from the cave as his body had drifted up and snagged on a line. His dive computer indicated a max depth of 904 ft and HPNS was suspected as the probable cause of the accident.

As far as I know 925' is still the mixed gas record for scuba. Given the level of insanity needed to attempt to break the record, I suspect it will stand awhile.

RichLockyer once bubbled...
Jeez... LSD effects, HPNS... the only thing left is liquid... way more dense, but the O2 and CO2 carrying ability could allow for extremely slow respiration.

You're forgetting about Kevin Costner's gills in "Water World". :)

RichLockyer

You say that they should have completed the dive this month? I'm confused. Is it 2004 already?

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
HPNS is a common problem with Heliox at depths below about 600'. But ironically enough the solution to this problem is to introduce a little nitrogen into the mix. The slight narcotic effect resulting from the small amount of nitrogen prevents HPNS.

Jim Bowden and Sheck Exley attempted a 1000' dive on scuba in April 1994. Bowden dove to 925 ft, before starting his ascent due to concerns for higher than planned gas consumption and then spent nearly 10 hours decompressing. He still sufferred a DCS hit that had to be treated on site with in water recompression. Exley was less fortunate and did not survive.

No recovery was attempted but his body was recovered 3 days later while equipment was being removed from the cave as his body had drifted up and snagged on a line. His dive computer indicated a max depth of 904 ft and HPNS was suspected as the probable cause of the accident.

As far as I know 925' is still the mixed gas record for scuba. Given the level of insanity needed to attempt to break the record, I suspect it will stand awhile.

You're forgetting about Kevin Costner's gills in "Water World". :)

on nov 6 2001 john bennet went to 308m/1010 fsw on open circuit scuba..
he used custom tables and was in the water for almost 9.5 hours

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom