Scuba Deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25:
But I'm PRETTY sure scuba has a much higher death rate than all these

Well this entire sentence is part of the problem that causes folks to think Scuba has a higher death rate than other sports.

You start with "But I'm pretty sure...." I would suggest that you spend some time on the DAN site reading facts. Then see if you can find some "facts' regarding all of the other inherently dangerous sports - like motorcycles, bungee jumping, sky diving etc etc.

When you get your facts, come on back and lets discuss it some more:D

-s

almitywife:
the problem with that sort of statement is what about those that die while on the surface and have a heart attack

did the heart attack kill the guy or the drowning that resulted and as he is on scuba at the time, the corner might say it was a diving death

where are your stats coming from?

Yep. Guy playing Football or Rugby or something has a stroke or heart attack, they don't call it a "Rugby death." Same thing happens to a guy 90 feet down, it's a "Scuba death." I'm not saying it's not dangerous- it clearly is dangerous. But- in the last year, here around Seattle, I know of 2 different Scuba deaths that most defenitely were Scuba deaths, and they were both totally avoidable- 1 was a woman who ran out of air at ~ 100 fsw and refused to buddy breathe, shot to the surface and embolized, and the other death involved some thrill seekers doing a "bounce dive" to ~ 200 fsw on AL80s- one of them never came up.....these were both completely avoidable deaths. I just don't think it's that dangerous, if you play by the rules......at any rate, it's a heckuva lot safer than driving to the dive site.

I'm not sure whether, statistically, scuba DOES have a higher death rate than other "risk sports" or not, but I think a contributing factor to deaths in diving is the percieved ease of diving..... Many other sports have a way more self limiting factor preventing people who aren't ready for it getting in too far over their heads - for example, mountain or rock climbing - extremely unfit people, or those with insufficient skill are unlikely to be capable of putting themselves into high risk situations - if you can't make it up the cliff in the first place, you can't fall off it!

With diving on the other hand, it is relatively easy to get in WAY out of your depth (pardon the pun), with the need for all that extra training and a basic level of fitness only becoming apparent to the unwary when it starts hitting the fan - by which point it is of course too late for such insights.

In some other sports (climbing, paragliding come to mind) you need a certain level of ability and expertise in order to physically put yourself in high risk situations. In scuba, getting into these situations is often fairly easy - its knowing not to go in the first place, or getting out of them once there that requires the skill!

Edit: I just thought downhill skiing may be similar.... when you get off the chairlift, and think "oh C**P". Although, for your average recreational skiier, making such a mistake is most likely to result in an undignified descent, possibly a ride on the ski patrol's "snowmobile of shame".....the stakes are kind of higher in scuba.

What other sports do you belong to a board with 70K members (Or more no flames please) and an association that keeps stats (DAN)? I think if you where on the sport bike riders (ya know the guys on the freeway riding 130mph on the back wheel) you might find that when one or more of them dies they talk about it alot. Just my opinion.

Scuba is the only sport/hobby/activity that takes place in an enviroment that humans are not made to be in naturally. If our equipment fails and we lack a buddy and/or the proper training... we're done.

Pretty easy to see why the there are so many deaths in scuba, wether or not it's more than other sports/hobby/activities.

Other than Extreme elevations. There is a certain altitude that your body is basically dying the whole time you are there. 29K feet I think. When people die up there they usually make the news too.

plot:
Scuba is the only sport/hobby/activity that takes place in an enviroment that humans are not made to be in naturally. If our equipment fails and we lack a buddy and/or the proper training... we're done.

Pretty easy to see why the there are so many deaths in scuba, wether or not it's more than other sports/hobby/activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom