Scuba Deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i dont consider my diving a sport.... i consider it a relaxing & fun activity

i hear more people die by being hit on the head by coconuts and those scrapbookers live life on the edge with all those papercuts :D :10:

i would say most diver deaths are due to either lack of health or lack of training/skills

I don't think it does have a high death rate from Scuba caused reasons. Some are due to other causes like very unfit people using Scuba as there only activity. They make news because of the fear of the unknown by the general public. Also Water skiing, boating, jet ski, motor cycle, car, Mountain climbing accidents, make the news but, if you do not visit any boards etc... you might not hear about them again.

sandmanz32:
diver error, stupidity, and poor training would be the main causes. just my .02cuft

yep... everyone is entitled to be stupid once in doing something, its just that scuba is pretty unforgiving in that department

the problem with that sort of statement is what about those that die while on the surface and have a heart attack

did the heart attack kill the guy or the drowning that resulted and as he is on scuba at the time, the corner might say it was a diving death

where are your stats coming from?

jaybombs25:
It seems like our sport has one of the highest death rates out of all other sports. What others do you think have more deaths? and why do we have so many?

opinions

My opinion: Scuba has a higher death/incident rate than other sports simply because of the meduim we dive in. Simply put, we can't survive underwater long without our gear. Our gear also has the potential to kill/injure us as well if used improperly (over-expansion injuries). Incidents can quickly compound and escalate from non life threatening to deadly quickly. Some other sports such as mountain climbing or caving fit in the same mold.

almitywife:
yep... everyone is entitled to be stupid once in doing something, its just that scuba is pretty unforgiving in that department
o yes, being stupid on the surface is one thing......lord knows how often i do that. once you at depth its not the time for horseplay, or acting a fool

jaybombs25:
It seems like our sport has one of the highest death rates out of all other sports. What others do you think have more deaths? and why do we have so many?

opinions
From where do you draw this hypothesis?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom