Scuba Death in Cozumel Early this Week???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
... Turn SPG face down & crack tank valve... What else could I/we do...

Before turning on the air and presurizing the lines, I try to take a breath from my second stages to ensure the exhaust valves are doing their job.

frankster, explain further. I must confess to being basically uninformed when it comes to scuba regulators, which is part of the reason I asked the question. How would attempting to breathe or breathing from the second stage without pressure from the first help you check the exhaust valves. Honestly, I don't know, but want to learn.

you should not be able to take a complete breath in if the valves are working.

if you can breathe through it (without the air being turned on) something's wrong.

The woman's gear was her own and (you'll like this) it was a HUB unit.

I slowly gathering & corroborating the details & it is a very sad story.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

scubafool:
How would attempting to breathe ... from the second stage ... help you check the exhaust valves.

If you attempt to take a breath from an unpressurized second stage and you have air flowing through it, you possibly have something wrong with your exhaust valves.

The exhaust valves should only allow you to exhale air through them or blow water out to purge a flooded reg.

If air can flow back through the exhaust valve when getting ready, you could end up breathing half air half water when you dive.

On the HUB dont you have to get some other hose out of a pocket if you want to orally inflate, not what you want in a panic situation

You have gone too far to the dark side DrMike. Its the Mares BCD which has a built in regulator system, the 2nd stages are fed out of the pockets and the inflator deflator buttons are built onto the body of the BCD, there is no standard inflator hose, it basically looks like a CF waiting to happen

But the HUB is Mares, no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom