scuba compressor non continuous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What is consider non continuous? Run for 1hr? 2hr? 3hr? 4hr? then rest for how many hours 1hr? 2hr? 3hr? 4hr? to cool down before it can be run again?

I have a MaxAir 35 (Coltri MCH-6).

My typical usage has been filling a pair of HP120 to 3500psi. Usually takes 30min each tank.

In order to cut down on weight and cost, the small compressors have lighter weight crank shafts and bearings. As a result, they cannot run for extended times at max pressure. High pressure creates higher stresses and higher internal temperatures but the compressor dissipates the heat pretty well between fills.

On a cold Northwest day I was able to pump up a dozen 80s one right after the other and never heated up the compressor.

However, I have a customer in FL that could only pump up five or six before his compressor heated up. So, it isn't really a matter time but more of temperature. When the third stage heats up to where you can't put your hand on it anymore, it is time to shut it down.

For your tanks, it should be no problem.

Last edited:
A hand held IR temperture gun is handy to check compressor and tank temperature during filling to get a baseline idea of how hot it gets and how long it takes.

Back
Top Bottom