Scuba Club Cozumel ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim is right. $10 US plus tax. We dive 32 first dive and 36 for second and then do air on the shore dives.

Blue Steel:. We like the rooms. We had the same one all 3 times this year and hope to get it again in January. It has a king plus two singles we use to hold our bags. There are several nice rooms on the ground floor facing the water. There is a small fridge to hold drinks we buy at Chedraui.

I always thought Blue Angel was more expensive. SCC is $900 or less for room, diving and 3 meals a day. Good deal.

Betty

Suggestion: If you're using nitrox, buy a tank for your DM.

Rates at SCC will be the same next year as they are this year; no increase! :)

So will SCC take you to see the Eagle Rays? If not, why would you continue to dive with them?

So will SCC take you to see the Eagle Rays? If not, why would you continue to dive with them?

You & me and most others, probably not. Customers who bring them lots of business every year have a damn good chance. The more business, the better the chance. If you are only going to Cozumel to see eagle rays then I am sure there are much better choices.

But if you are happy with two fairly long boat dives in the morning with a reasonably good selection of sites; with a good, convenient breakfast just before you go; want lunch as soon as you get back and clean up (your gear) a little; and then do as many free shore dives as you want over mostly man-made structure with plenty of life, then SCC may be the best choice for the price. I understand that dinner is now optional but it is a pretty good and convenient option. There are some down sides to SCC but there are many up-sides if your primary interest is diving.

I do not go to Cozumel to ONLY see eagle rays. But if you are there when they are, the eagle ray dive is incredible (see previous pictures posted). Why be deprived of the chance to see that unless you are a "special" customer?

My first trip to Cozumel was to the Galapago Inn. So I have been there.

On my last trip to SCC (August this year) I saw more Eagle Rays close up (within 10 to 20 feet) than I have ever seen before and that was just on regular dives to the south side. I'm not talking out in the deep blue, I'm talkin close close fly-by's in shallower waters. One sighting on Paso del Cedral we ran out of reef and were cruising the sandy area and a huge Eagle Ray cruised right in front of us (darn close to touching range).

Plus we saw the Loggerhead 3 times this trip all in different locations (April trip I saw it twice).
Plus Dolphins playing by our dive boat for about 45 minutes.
Plus, plus, plus..

In the photos below we were on one side of the coral head looking at the Loggerhead and a big group of divers (not in our group) went by us about 20 feet away and never looked at us or saw the turtle.

I guess ya just gotta keep your eyes open and not depend on the DM or Dive Operator to find all the fishes.

Photos taken by JoAnn & Craig Smith on Dalila

lh-1.jpg

--
lh-2.jpg

Not the best photos.. taken with P&S and it couldn't handle the glare off the water..

dp-1.JPG

--
dp-2.JPG

--
dp-3.JPG

--
dp-4.JPG

After Wilma, the eagle rays disappeared from Cozumel. The turtle grass beds, home for conch, were all torn up. The rays are beginning to return and are often seen on the reefs. I've not done the "eagle ray" dive site, but have heard from others who either rave about it or are disappointed when the rays didn't show up.

It is wrong to declare, "SCC won't take you to this dive site or that." The dive shop does and will arrange for boats to special places, they just don't do it every day. Barracuda? San Juan? Chunchacaab? Maricaibo? been there, done that, on SCC boats. Well, then again, they haven't taken me to the windward side of the island...maybe next trip.

Im gonna add another question -- sorry guys/gals. Twice now, including in some info a couple of the island ops sent me they talked about it being el norte season/time?? from what I gather they are talking about winds that affect the ability to dive duw to currents and this is controlled by the harbor master?? can anyone tell me - does closing of the diving happen often or is it merely the forewarning that the possiblility exists. I would hate to go down there for four/five days of diving and have one or two cancelled???

I did also look at Blue Angel (I assume that was BA as referred to above?) They are smaller with what appears to be fairly small boats?? can anyone confirm this?? I also noted that they have separate pricing for the room/reservation and diving is an addition - I am wondering what the pricing difference would be - I also noted that it appears that NO meals (other then breakfast) are included at BA...

tmp:
I can't speak for el nortes but I believe Aldora will dive the east side if harbor master closes the port.
Blue Angel (BA) is down the street maybe 1/4mile from SCC and has 22 rooms.
Rooms are spartan, but very clean with refrig., tv, phone, alarm clock, room safes, balcony , all have full ocean view.
They have one larger boat with a head that goes out at 1100 and again at 1300.
The other boats are smaller, we have anywhere from 2-6 divers onboard and they leave for a 2-tank at 0800 and again at 1100.
The BA does have packages for room/diving and now only offer breakfast.
I believe they offer separate pricing as I have seen people show up in the morning or we pick then up from different piers for diving and have also seen people staying there that dive with other ops and are picked up at the blue angel pier in the morning.
The smaller boats have shade, provide water, fruits, muffins, and are pretty darn fast, going to most all of the sites south.
Funny you mention pricing as I just "ran the numbers" to compare the 2 places for a 7 night/5 dive stay.
When you factor in lunch and dinner that is provided with SCC, the prices are very, very close on a per night basis.
Either place you choose would be good. I have many friends who just love SCC and those that love the BA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom