Scuba Club Cozumel report & photos Dec 1-Dec 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been intrigued by Scuba Club Coz for many years, but I have never stayed there. My wife and I enjoy good (quiet) air conditioning, hot showers and reasonably soft beds and pillows. We don't ask for fancy; just clean, cool and decent television.

How do the rooms at SCC rate as compared to Hotel Cozumel or similar mid range hotels? I'm convinced that the diving, social life and food are good based on many reviews on the ScubaBoard. Honestly, the rooms at Hotel Cozumel are sort of hit and miss when it comes to quality.

S4S

The beds are futons, or the equivalent, as seems to be relatively standard in Cozumel. If you like sleeping on futons, they are fantastic. If you don't - you probably won't be happy. (FWIW, that seems to be standard - I have seen complaints that the beds are hard in reviews of several Cozumel hotels.)

We had no problem with room temperature - but I do not recall whether the air conditioning was quiet, or not. It certainly wasn't noisy enough to bother us. No TV in the room - although I did not notice its absence until someone pointed it out upthread (18 months or so after I visited there). I don't recall if it had television elsewhere on the premises or not.

Showers were hot.

I have been intrigued by Scuba Club Coz for many years, but I have never stayed there. My wife and I enjoy good (quiet) air conditioning, hot showers and reasonably soft beds and pillows. We don't ask for fancy; just clean, cool and decent television.

How do the rooms at SCC rate as compared to Hotel Cozumel or similar mid range hotels? I'm convinced that the diving, social life and food are good based on many reviews on the ScubaBoard. Honestly, the rooms at Hotel Cozumel are sort of hit and miss when it comes to quality.

S4S

I visited SCC Jan 2007, returning again Jan 19th. I found SCC a good place to stay. I would not consider it fancy. It is clean, the food is good, the dive op is solid. The boats may not be the fastest, but I am on vacation, so why do I need to get out and back so fast. It is a dive resort. I understand they will only book divers. At least one diver per room. There is no TV, but I did not miss TV either. I do not speak spanish so TV would be a waste for me. The AC worked, the sound was moderate. The bed is hard. Basically a mattress on a concrete pad. But I like hard beds. The food is included, drinks are not. If memory serves me well, drinks are included at Hotel Cozumel for a few more bucks.

Since Hotel Cozumel is next to SCC, I was considering booking at HC my next trip. I noticed that HC did not have as many divers that week. If a large crew went diving, a good size boat picked them up. One rainy day, only four divers went out. They dove from a small uncovered boat, barely enough room for the four divers. The divers traveled down the island to the dive site wearing their gear, crashing waves. I am sure that ride truly sucked. That ended my interest in HC. SC had three boats that day, not the usual six. It rained at the hotel, the sun and calm air were at the dive sites that day.

I do not like to trash an op I did not use. HC appears to be newer and would be an option for me if SCC was over booked the week I wanted to visit. From what I saw and heard from others that routinely visit SCC, I doubt you will have bad experience. Even the night dives off the SCC pier were great. No vegetation, but I saw a banded crab and a small octopus that was checking out our strobe light.

Hope this helps - Tom

Thanks so much for sharing those great photos, especially with your detailed captions. I'm going to Cozumel for a dive trip in February, and can't wait to see the sights again, thanks to your very clear, amazing photos!

Since Hotel Cozumel is next to SCC, I was considering booking at HC my next trip. I noticed that HC did not have as many divers that week. If a large crew went diving, a good size boat picked them up. One rainy day, only four divers went out. They dove from a small uncovered boat, barely enough room for the four divers. The divers traveled down the island to the dive site wearing their gear, crashing waves. I am sure that ride truly sucked. That ended my interest in HC. Hope this helps - Tom

Hi Tom!

There could be several reasons that those divers went out in a small, uncovered boat- none of them have to do with the HC dive op only offering a small boat because of rain!
A number of dive operators can pick up at the HC pier. Some only have small boats and if that is who those divers booked with, they either dove in that boat or canceled the dive.
If those divers were diving with the dive op who is housed at the HC, they paid extra to dive in that small boat and could have made other arrangements if they wanted to.

If you do the regular dive package with the dive op at HC, you don't use those little boats - regardless of the weather. They use boats that are similar in size to those at SC and hold 12-16 divers max. They all have some sort of protection from the rain.

HC is a clean and comfortable place to stay in Cozumel and the dive op is solid. If you are thinking about staying there sometime, please don't let the rainy day impression stop you!

Meg :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom