Scuba Club Cozumel report & photos Dec 1-Dec 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for taking the time to put together a trip report. As you know, it helps the rest of us get through to our next dive trip !

I have never taken an underwater picture with my own camera. When I start to get bored with "just diving" then I will focus (ha, ha) on taking pictures. I would think that getting great shots like you did (especially the anemone shrimp) would take a long time and / or require a great many shots and choosing the best ones to post.

It is difficult enough for me to get with a group that will stop around a coral head enough to really explore it, much less take the time required to get such excellent shots. Were you with a group willling to spend the time or just good / lucky, or both ? : )

P.S. Greetings from the Southern Applachian near Boone.

Perhaps you've just never been on the boat with other photogs before :) Pedro, Arturo and Blanca all go very slow and will slow down even more when there are photographers on board. In fact, I've never dove with a divemaster slower than Arturo...haha! See you and Ash very soon! I'm looking forward to it :) If you want, I'll take you on a dedicated photo dive when you're here...I have an extra Oly 5050 laying around I suppose you could use :)

Perhaps you've just never been on the boat with other photogs before :) Pedro, Arturo and Blanca all go very slow and will slow down even more when there are photographers on board. In fact, I've never dove with a divemaster slower than Arturo...haha! See you and Ash very soon! I'm looking forward to it :) If you want, I'll take you on a dedicated photo dive when you're here...I have an extra Oly 5050 laying around I suppose you could use :)

Ash thinks that would be very cool...so I guess we're there. She is really looking forward to seeing everyone again. Please tell everyone Feliz Navidad from us to them..

Which ruins did you visit, I know which ones they are, but you didn't indicate in your report...and I'm sure inquiry minds would like to know:).

The archeological site shown in the photos is Coba, about 44km west of Tulum (if you know where that is).

It is difficult enough for me to get with a group that will stop around a coral head enough to really explore it, much less take the time required to get such excellent shots. Were you with a group willling to spend the time or just good / lucky, or both ? : )

My strategy for getting shots while drift diving is basically to solo. My girlfriend keeps an eye on me but isn't anywhere near me. I get slightly ahead of the group and look for good shots. By the time I have finished with the photo the group has passed me and is way ahead. I pop up high into the current to catch up, then repeat the process. The group with whom I dive likes to cover as much ground as possible while drift diving, so I've got to be fast or I'll get left far behind.

A few times on Paradise reef at night I was so far behind I couldn't see their dive lights way ahead of me. I would pop up into the current, turn off my light and squint for the glow of their lights.

It helps to leave your camera turned on at all times, ready for a shot. Occasionally I shoot at something random to make sure I've got the exposure correct and flash ready to go.

At night I will spend 2 hours off the pier looking for macro shots. Things initially disappear on my approach, but I get my exposure and flash set correctly then just sit there for 10 minutes. Eventually the creatures come back out and I get the shots. That is how I got the anemone crabs and shrimp.

At night I will spend 2 hours off the pier looking for macro shots. Things initially disappear on my approach, but I get my exposure and flash set correctly then just sit there for 10 minutes. Eventually the creatures come back out and I get the shots. That is how I got the anemone crabs and shrimp.

A-HA !

There is the answer ! I didn't think of that. What is it 20...22 fsw there? If the moon is full, I wonder if you can see well enough without a light. Sounds like it would be fun to try ! Little or no current, shallow depth, hangin' out on the bottom...sounds very relaxing.

Nice report and pics. I'm always afraid to get too close to anemones to explore for any visitors. Good job for "getting in there".

Very nice pics & report! As I sit here and look out the window at a foot of snow.......Ahh Cozumel! How I miss thee!

Great report, Harry!! We visit Cozumel once or twice a year and stay next door at the Hotel Cozumel. After seeing all of your wonderful pictures, it makes me miss Cozumel even more. Won't get back until June, though, so we'll have to hang tough!

Chuck and I live in SW Virginia at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have a very active caving community in the Roanoke area, so if you are ever in town, let us know!!

Meg and Chuck :)

I have been intrigued by Scuba Club Coz for many years, but I have never stayed there. My wife and I enjoy good (quiet) air conditioning, hot showers and reasonably soft beds and pillows. We don't ask for fancy; just clean, cool and decent television.

How do the rooms at SCC rate as compared to Hotel Cozumel or similar mid range hotels? I'm convinced that the diving, social life and food are good based on many reviews on the ScubaBoard. Honestly, the rooms at Hotel Cozumel are sort of hit and miss when it comes to quality.

S4S

Back
Top Bottom