Scuba Club, Carnaval & a trip to the Wild Side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budaman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can't believe it has been two weeks since our trip. As soon as we passed through the gates at Scuba Club, we knew we had made the right choice. It was the right place at the right time for us. The entire staff was terrific the whole time. The food was better than I expected, with good selections of fruit & salads at breakfast & lunch. Buffet for breakfast and at lunch you could choose off the menu or opt for their daily special. At breakfast, they would ask for your preferences for lunch & dinner.....really kept the waiting to a minimum at those seatings. Be careful of the Guacamole and the Coconut Ice Cream...they are addicting! They held a Mexican Fiesta on Monday night, and we had so much fun, we missed the parade that evening. You are charged for drinks, however, we didn't order too many alchoholic beverages and our settle-up tab at the end of the stay was only $30.

The diving was superb. The first diving day, we went out on the Reef Cat along with 14 other divers making their first dives at SCC, so they can check your skills. Geiser was our DM, and he remained with us on all our dives. The first dives were at San Francisco and Paradise. Hadn't dove San Francisco in quite some time, and it was a nice change of pace. The next two days, we moved to Scuba II. Monday there were 4 others on the boat & Tuesday only 3. The other divers had all been at the Photo Workshop the previous week, so we all were taking pics and stayed on the shallower dives because of the current. We dove Paseo de Cedral, Tormentos, Yucab and Paradise those two days. Geiser was able to point out many small & unusual creatures on these dives. It was my first time to see a Seahorse and Splendid Toadfish. Monday afternoon, we were able to dive on the C-53. It is still in one piece, but you can see where the starboard side was buckled by the force of Wilma. It was an interesting dive that I'm glad we did. The currents were strong as we descended, but once at the ship, it was quite pleasant.

Tuesday, we rented a Jeep. They can arrange this at the desk and they use Executive. They picked us up and took us to their offices just east of the Town Square, and got a very nice 2008 Wrangler. Before taking off for the East Side, we walked to the Square and did a little shopping & then went back to Executive & picked up the Jeep. Since we were leaving the next day, we were able to return the Jeep to the Airport which was very convenient. Total cost with full insurance & $0 deductable was $114. We stopped at Mezcalitos & Coconuts before finishing up with the sunset at Albertos.

Now for Carnaval.....the first Parade was Saturday night and got more intense each night with the final Parade on Tuesday night. Of couse, the festivities didn't stop when the parade was over each evening. The bands would play till the wee hours of the morning. The staging was done just south of Chadreau, so it was only a short 2 block walk till we were caught up in the festivities. It is an event you need to experience at least once.

The people of Cozumel were the ultimate hosts. They were always smiling and willing to help at any chance they could. With all the talk lately about how unsafe Mexico is lately, the people of Cozumel must not have heard. I felt as safe this trip, as I did my first trip in the 80's. We will return. Link to our video medley:

MobileMe Gallery

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report! Your video is absolutely gorgeous! Very nice job!

Sorry I missed you. I left Scuba Club on Monday. You must have been on the boat with our workshop hold-outs; Scott, Troy, Robyn, Deb and Jen. I hope they behaved themselves. :wink:

Scuba Club definitely has that atmosphere that you'll never forget. Geiser and Jesus were our DMs the week before. We loved them both. This was the first time I had a chance to dive with Geiser and he was every bit as good as the rest of the guys there. His dive briefings are so animated, I was wishing I had a video camera.

Maybe we'll run into you at Scuba Club sometime in the future.

Bonnie

Yes, the holdovers were great to dive with & Jen's blond jokes were great! Hopefully next year we will be able to make the workshop. We just couldn't arrange a whole week this trip & didn't want to only do part of the class.

Glad you liked the video....it is tough in Coz with the currents....too much shakin goin on as Elvis would say:D

We've been going to Coz for over 20 yrs & have never stayed in the same place twice. SCC may have changed that!

Mike

Welcome back! Now, call your travel agent and book your return trip; I find that helps with withdrawal symptoms. I also look at Scuba Club's webcam each morning and wave to the departing divers - that doesn't help.

It cost $114 for roughly 24 hours for the Jeep rental?

Welcome back! Now, call your travel agent and book your return trip; I find that helps with withdrawal symptoms. I also look at Scuba Club's webcam each morning and wave to the departing divers - that doesn't help.

The webcam doesn't help me either....especially when it's glassy smooth like this morning. It will probably be next year before we return....Cayman trip in November for Pirate's Week.

It cost $114 for roughly 24 hours for the Jeep rental?

The Jeep was $65.....everything else was taxes & insurance. Worth every cent for the peace of mind. If $25 - $35 made a difference, I didn't need to be renting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom