Scuba boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greenwave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I’m going to Bonaire for the first time. I have Deep See 5mm boots. I understand I would need hard soled boots for shore diving there. But then I read that some people are just using Chuck Taylor converse shoes!!!
Any thoughts if I my current boots are good/ should I buy the $120 Mares or the converse shoes.

Thank you

+1 for the Altamas. I had Bare rock boots before, which were ok but wore out sooner than I would have liked and the floppy top made them harder to get on than the Altamas. I wear 9.5 shoes; the Bares were size 10 (and I wear liner socks, wool socks, and booties under the neoprene socks) but I needed 11.5 Altamas and had to remove the insole to get them to fit. But very happy with them, easier to don, and seem far more durable. I know someone who uses Chucks and is happy with them, but I think the soft, floppy top would also make them slow to get on. Good price, especially on sale, though.

Not hurting my feet on the Bonaire peanut coral debris and the iron shore is an issue. Only hard sole boots will do that. Second most important is not having sand inside the boot. The 8 inch is good for that since a full length wetsuit can have the legs pulled over the top of the boots. Lastly, the complete drainage is also important, if you want to keep your boots on, but don't want to get pruny feet.

Hi everyone,

I’m going to Bonaire for the first time. I have Deep See 5mm boots. I understand I would need hard soled boots for shore diving there. But then I read that some people are just using Chuck Taylor converse shoes!!!
Any thoughts if I my current boots are good/ should I buy the $120 Mares or the converse shoes.

Thank you
Look at a pair of Seac Pro HD boots, there 6mm though, you can get them on Amazon.
I have a pair of their Basic HD boots from Amazon and really like them

I'm normally the first to recommend baseball boots for diving, but recently did a long walk in them over seriously gnarly rock and they weren't up to the job.

1722304490866.png
Seasoft Sunray's have hard sole, that urchin spines can not breach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom