Scuba Board not rated in poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topsites like this one were extremely popular in the late 90s, the problem, which most sites caught on to was the entire nature of the system. To get a good ranking I have to link to their site and drive traffic to them. It doesn't matter if my site is 500 times larger than the #1 site, if they put up a big banner on their homepage they can easily outrank me if all I have is a little link (ot in our case, no link at all).

Ultimately there is no real reason why I would want to send traffic to a site with no meaningful content -- it doesn't benefit me as the webmaster and it certainly doesn't benefit the community. ScubaBoard is a big site but we are not the only one, you don't see Sport Diver, ScubaDiving.Com, PADI or pretty much any other major site on those rankings for all of the reasons I listed (and more).

Certainly top lists have some purpose and are entertaining but these aren't rating sites... they don't rate anything other than the number of people you send to them and I'd much rather send people to an interesting, informative site.

There must be another way to rank, though. I browsed the list and found SB at 266. I also found another board (local one) that has 52 registered members and very little activity, and they ranked somewhere in the 100s. Go figure.

Dive-aholic:
I browsed the list and found SB at 266.
I just had a look at that. According to them "ScubaBoard" belongs to H2Andy! On the other hand "The ScubaBoard" - listed at 316 belongs to NetDoc!

So...H2Andy has a little side business going on, huh? :D I wonder how many posts he has on the other board???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom