Question Scuba air compressors dos and don'ts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inline detectors detect moisture content if that's the disk you have installed (although I think it's better to just track your filter life than rely on those).

Your best bet is to familiarize yourself with this document and all the abbreviations and why things are in line where they are (it does not have an in line detector or "site glass"). Then apply it to your compressor and see what it has and what it doesn't have. Maybe it needs some things, maybe it doesn't, but you should have a good understanding what all the parts do.

No offense, but it's obvious you haven't done a ton of research. Not at all knocking you for it, we all have to start somewhere, but your best bet is learn as MUCH as you can on how the compressor works and then start asking questions.
No offense taken, had a great time reading the docs and RTFM was really not enough, any other documentation will be most welcome! am wondering though about the PMV as I dont have yet the compressor in front of me what is the adjustement procedure. The img is quite laconic for my understanding.

Thx a ton guys!

The PMV can either be adjustable or non adjustable. If it's adjustable you unlock the locking nut and use an allen wrench while watching the gauge to adjust at what pressure it allows gas through.

A filter tower should always be at ~ 2200psi, that's about the sweet spot. Anymore is wear and tear on the compressor (as your compressor will always be compressing minimum what the PMV is set to), any less is less efficient to get the best life from the filter.

At least this is what I have read and follow.

Here's a pic, you can see the lock and the allen screw;

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    416.8 KB · Views: 55
Get formal training in scuba compressors and fill systems before you buy a compressor

Get - and use - a CO analyzer

Don't use quick disconnects

Make sure nothing in your system can turn into a whip

Have a fire extinguisher nearby

Get your air formally tested annually just to see how your system is performing

Pay attention to your water drains

Use synthetic oil BUT if you change from mineral, make sure you clean all the stages numerous times over the coming 30 hours.

Is this even available to Joe Diver?
PADI Expert Compressor Technician

JK.. probably not. I hope someone knows how to read a manual when they buy a compressor:)

Is this even available to Joe Diver?
Well, I'm Bob, not Joe, but SDI has a "Fill Station Operator". I'm sure it depends on the instructor you take it through but it was for me very informative.

I'm sure in this day and age, there is more than enough information out there to do it on your own too...

What I like is that I can walk into my LDS, and do my own fills if they are busy with others...

I'm sure in this day and age, there is more than enough information out there to do it on your own too...
^^^This.

I am by no mean an expert, but I feel pretty confident I know enough about my compressor (and compressor theory) to be dangerous. All gained from papers / books / forums.
What I like is that I can walk into my LDS, and do my own fills if they are busy with others...
I have yet to run into an LDS in MD that would let me do that, but if you work / volunteer / slave labor there they will.

The following references (not complete or definitive) just stuff from my library might be useful:

-----, GUIDE TO SAFE HANDLING OF COMPRESSED GASES, Matheson Gas Products, Secaucus, NJ. 1983, 322 pages.

High, B. GUIDE FOR FILL STATION OPERATIONS, PSI, Seattle, WA. 2005, 45 pages.

High, B. CYLINDER HAZMAT REFERENCE GUIDE, PSI, Seattle, WA. 2005, 33 pages.

McBride, W. HIGH PRESSURE BREATHING AIR HANDBOOK, Sub-Aquatics, 1996, 212 pages.

McBride, W. THE PRODUCTION, PROCESSING AND STORAGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BREATHING AIR, Breathing Air Systems, Reyoldsberg, OH. 1980, 23 pages.

Talbott, E. COMPRESSED AIR SYSTEMS: A GUIDEBOOK ON ENERGY AND COST SAVINGS, Fairmont Press, Inc. Atlanta, GA. 1986, 186 pages.

Vanchuk, J. HOW TO MAKE GOOD RESPIRATORY AIR CONSISTENTLY AND ECONOMICALLY, Robbins Aviation, Inc. Vernon, CA. 1978, 11 pages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom