Scuba a dying sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The English language does evolve, that's a fact. Just think of all of the new terms used today due to political correctness.

Scuba is a sport, leisure activity, profession, addiction, and a hobby. But I really don’t care what it is called, I just like to do it.

Yes,

I could accept Tomato Growing at the state fair as a sport since it has a winner and a loser and likely requires more physical effort even than golf... with the digging to plant, the planting, the constant watering, the picking, the carrying to the competition ... heck it might be more physically demanding than diving... I know farmers that would say so...
There is a difference between sport and contest...

While all sports are a contest, not all contests are a sport...

Many contests have winners and losers. Many sports have the same.

Some contests don't have winners and losers, only participants... The same is true of some sports...
---

I'd hate to see the losers in a rock climbing event. It's definitely a sport, and a contest. But, not all contests pit one individual against another. Sometimes it's one against one's advantages and disadvantages, experiences and inexperiences (Much like the sport of diving)

Yes, diving IS a sport. Especially for us solo divers!

I suppose it depends on how you define sport. I am inclined to believe it is. From dictionary.com:

sport   
ËÏoun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
etc...

Definition #3, and perhaps #1, kinda seals it for me.

I am sorry to tell you guys, SCUBA may or may not be a dying sport but nonetheless, BY DEFINITION, SCUBA is a sport. Geeez, get a dictionary and read it. You guys would argue to h--- freezes over, it is in black and white----BY DEFINITION---SCUBA is a sport.

N

That's interesting - I've never heard anyone say that the dictionary was not the authoritative answer to definitions of words. I guess that means if I want to call an apple a tomato that its ok. I'll say its hot outside when its cold. Everyone join me in this - in a few years we will have completely destroyed the English language and no one will be able to communicate with anyone else!

You only hear people argue with the truth when they are incorrect, thank you for being one of the few who apparently has some command of his/her native language. Yeah, not just Websters, how many dictionaires need I pull out, they all provide a similar useage, SCUBA, meets the definition as a sport. No you don't get to make up definitions or words, that one uses a word incorrectly or fails to fathom it's meaning changes nothing, the definiton is sufficient to include SCUBA as a sport.

As to SCUBA not being competitive, you have never been diving with me or perhaps many others who are not into relaxing, we can relax when we are dead, I go full out, so do others. Relaxing, maybe we need to refer to the dictionary again.

Well, while y'all are about rearranging the English language, have a Merry Christmas and I am just going to take an asprin, my head is swelling up at the thought that we just make up words as we go just because it suits us. No wonder, maybe there is mercury in the vaccines:confused:.

Yes, language evolves, there are archaic forms and useage, however, those definitons alluded to are CURRENT useage.

N:shakehead:

I love these word games. :D

I hate to tell you but all of these are also hobbies... there is no sport in any of them.

What they all really are is activities.

All sports are activities:

activity
noun (pl. activities) 1 a condition in which things are happening or being done. 2 busy or vigorous action or movement. 3 an action taken in pursuit of an objective. 4 a recreational pursuit. 5 the degree to which something displays its characteristic property or behaviour.

sport
noun 1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. 2 informal a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, etc. 3 success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting. 4 entertainment; fun. 5 chiefly Austral./NZ a friendly form of address, especially between unacquainted men. 6 Biology an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type as a result of spontaneous mutation.

And by the way... Webster is not the end all be all of the english language...

This, I absolutely agree with. That's why I get my definitions from Oxford Dictionary.

Bottom line, though I personally don't think of scuba as a sport because I think of sports mostly as competitive activities, it does fall under the definition of 'sport'. Therefore, it is correct to define scuba as that.

:zen:

/and yes. I got bold happy :D

Oh, and Oxford's definition of scuba diving

scuba-diving

**• noun the sport or pastime of swimming underwater using a scuba.

I don't consider diving to be the rigorous definition of a sport. It is a leisure activity, so it can be called a 'sport' along with gardening if people choose to call it that.

Nonetheless, from my perspective here in south Florida, it does seem to be an activity that a lot of people my age, and younger, aren't fully into. It won't go away all together as I suspect that the demands of raising a family in today's world just have people of Gen X and Gen Y / Z fully engrossed in working and child-managing (or drug use and child-ignoring, depending on the parents). Eventually, as middle-aged or older parents, these folks will probably look for less rigorous forms of outdoor activities, and scuba diving will fit the bill.

The most demanding aspect of diving, for a lot of people, is either getting everything right to ensure safety, or the brief lifting of the weight of the gear. Neither one makes it count in my personal definition of the term 'sport' - I'd rather use the term 'leisure activity' appropriately instead of even hinting it has the demands of other activities I have partaken.

The addition of spearfishing brings it a little closer, but I would still choose to call freediving while spearing a sport before I would call diving and spearing a sport.

But we live in a world of liberal definitions, so if it makes some people feel happy about themselves to be involved in a 'sport,' so be it. Some people don't have much more than that.

Competitive...
Rigorous...
Relaxing...
Recreational...

All these adjectives are descriptive words used to assist in defining what type of sport (noun) is taking place...

Diving, by definition (Oxford, Webster, etc.) is a sport (noun)

Sport (adj.) Diving (noun) is a description of the type of diving (noun) being done.
---

I thought we covered these in grade school, but I realize it was a long time ago for me. Maybe we needed to go over them again to clarify. I hope that does the trick. I will consider further disagreement of facts (wording) to be a Troll (noun) :D

I cant believe you guys are actually arguing the point if diving is a sport or not... First of all, it was a phrase in my post, to take it out of content my god, is it really that important....lol...too funny

We also have 20 to 60 age range and we try to market the young people they need to see the under water world before it changes anymore than it has..But we market towards the younger diver and make it interesting, but it is also the 50 and older crowd that has always wanted to do and now they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom