Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New info today from STINAPA. Additional red sites are Cliff and Corp Meiss. Additional orange site is Aquarius.
1687400997422.png

Full ArcGIS map at https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...d5b16&extent=-68.8017,11.9105,-67.4545,12.493

Attachments

• 1687401080281.png
    1687401080281.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 42
You do you.
I'll be there with a group for a month in Aug-Sept. I anticipate some fuss re site choices and sequencing, and some bother with decontamination, but do NOT expect the reef to be dead or all the fish gone.

By the way, Sept-Oct is the warmest water - it may be after meteorological summer, but not after oceanographic summer.
View attachment 787774

I get that your main point about the seasonality of water temps is correct and maybe I am too picky about it, but I have seen this chart before and it bugs me that they infer precision by going to tenths of degrees, but get the simple arithmetic of converting between C and F wrong, in many cases by almost a degree F. For example if the Oct max is 30.3 C that converts to 86.5 F, not 85.7. And a Mar min of 25.8 C is 78.4 F instead of the provided 79.2 F. If they rounded to nearest whole degrees, fair enough, but if they go to tenths at least get it right.

I get that your main point about the seasonality of water temps is correct and maybe I am too picky about it, but I have seen this chart before and it bugs me that they infer precision by going to tenths of degrees, but get the simple arithmetic of converting between C and F wrong, in many cases by almost a degree F. For example if the Oct max is 30.3 C that converts to 86.5 F, not 85.7. And a Mar min of 25.8 C is 78.4 F instead of the provided 79.2 F. If they rounded to nearest whole degrees, fair enough, but if they go to tenths at least get it right.
If you insist on being anal:
(1) They are not "inferring" precision, they are implying precision. You are inferring precision.
(2) The average monthly max in C is calculated from the daily maxima in C. The average monthly max in F is calculated from the daily maxima in F. It is the accumulated round-off errors in the conversion that account for the differences you see.

I don't see any rectal reference in my post, that is your viewpoint! Yes, agreed it was my inference and their implication. Standing corrected.

But, there is no arithmetic possibility that daily temperatures in tenths of degrees C can accumulate rounding errors of that magnitude when converted to daily temperatures in tenths of degrees F. And if they used whole numbers in C and converted to whole numbers F for daily temperatures, they have no business then averaging to tenths for the monthly average!

I don't see any rectal reference in my post, that is your viewpoint! Yes, agreed it was my inference and their implication. Standing corrected.

But, there is no arithmetic possibility that daily temperatures in tenths of degrees C can accumulate rounding errors of that magnitude when converted to daily temperatures in tenths of degrees F. And if they used whole numbers in C and converted to whole numbers F for daily temperatures, they have no business then averaging to tenths for the monthly average!
Seriously? The continuing trivial (anal) battle you pursue may indicate OCD.

Seriously? The continuing trivial (anal) battle you pursue may indicate OCD.

Please, not another trite pop psychology cliche!

If you think it is trivial, good for you, ignore it. But as I said in my first post, I may be picky but I do value precision, particularly when it would be just as easy to be precise as it is to be sloppy.

The chart shows the delta between the lowest monthly average min and highest monthly average max is 6.7 degrees F, whereas converting from the presumably source averages in degrees C produces a delta of 8.2 F. That is proportionally a significantly larger range between lowest and highest temperatures. And in the on going debates about how the sea temperature affects weather, climate, reefs and fish habitat, etc., fractions of a degree count.

I recognize that we are not doing high science here, but accuracy does have value and that chart is lacking. But is not going to ruin my day and don't let my thoughts on it ruin yours.

Another STINAPA map update posted today.
Additional orange sites are Keepsake (Klein), Andrea II, Petries Pillar, all sites from Something Special south to Bachelor's Beach are red, plus Cliff.
Orange now means "SCTLD sighted" and red means "SCTLD rapidly spreading."
Locations of nine "publically accessible rinse stations" now plotted in blue on map for daily decontamination of gear.
1687896647422.png

To summarize, here are the only sites currently marked Red:
1688316595974.png

Here are the only sites currently marked Orange:
1688316734176.png
All other sites are Green, although those north of Karpata (below) are CLOSED to diving to try and keep them Green.
1688316978730.png

????? Where do the sites not listed fall ?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom