Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would imagine there are still a fair number of divers on Bari from Sand Dollar and Den Laman, just not the visitors since the public access was closed due to construction of the park between Den Laman and Chogogo. Very easy to decontaminate gear when using the pier as the special rinse tanks are right there. They were there last August when they thought Karpata was infected.

The Dive Friends boats do worry me. I believe they are docked/moored somewhere in the infected zone south of Bari. As of a couple weeks ago, Dive Friends told me the boats were running from Sand Dollar/Den Laman. They were doing 2 dives off Klein Bonaire or the northern sites, but not mixing the two.
No doubt on the Bari point, @scubadada, but our experience staying at DL and SD was that folks there would be at the tip of the compliance spear and give a lot of side-eye to anyone who wasn't.

Re. the boats coming in and out of the dock, I share your worry. I've not seen anything which rules out disease transmission on smallcraft hulls or in their bilges. I believe that Dive Friends's big new cat, which is what I saw going in and out at the DL/SD dock, lives in the Plaza canal maze, the mouth of which has red dots both above and below. I'm pretty sure there's no corals in the canals, but obviously lots of boats go in and out there. With Bari pretty much alone at Level 1, so far so good, I guess, but boats going from that dock to Klein or, what, Rappel or Country Garden, seems dicey. I assume that Buddy's and Don's boats are doing the same kind of thing.

The whole thing is so awful.

No doubt on the Bari point, @scubadada, but our experience staying at DL and SD was that folks there would be at the tip of the compliance spear and give a lot of side-eye to anyone who wasn't.

Re. the boats coming in and out of the dock, I share your worry. I've not seen anything which rules out disease transmission on smallcraft hulls or in their bilges. I believe that Dive Friends's big new cat, which is what I saw going in and out at the DL/SD dock, lives in the Plaza canal maze, the mouth of which has red dots both above and below. I'm pretty sure there's no corals in the canals, but obviously lots of boats go in and out there. With Bari pretty much alone at Level 1, so far so good, I guess, but boats going from that dock to Klein or, what, Rappel or Country Garden, seems dicey. I assume that Buddy's and Don's boats are doing the same kind of thing.

The whole thing is so awful.
The pier has always been private

The northern sites not accessible from shore are Carel's Vision (now closed), Small Wall (unless you are staying at Black Durgon), Barkadera, Kalli's Reef (unless you dive to Jeff Davis), Bon Bini Na Cas, Country Garden, Bloodlet, Rappel, and La Dania's Leap (unless you dive to Karpata). Many or these sites are fantastic

I have no specific information for Bonaire, but typically SCTLD-like lesions are first observed -- thus Caution -- and then a week or two later the progression of the disease can be observed. One of the hallmarks of SCTLD is the rapid rate of spread; see ellen Muller's photos for an example. Other examples ae at a NOAA website and the AGRRA (the professional's website) site.
A bit dated, but complete and very informative report from STINAPA, Nov 2022.

Note this phrase:
After consulting with regional experts from various organizations, we were informed that it is, at this moment, impossible to diagnostically determine if we are dealing with a particularly aggressive form of white plague disease or SCTLD. We are working with NOAA and AGRRA to collect tissue samples that will help them to hopefully be able to distinguish SCTLD from other diseases. In the meantime, SCTLD on Bonaire can only be confirmed once we have a disease that is spreading rapidly and affecting multiple species and sites.

These pictures are from the reefcam video feed, the first Sunday and the second Tuesday.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 56
Klein has been closed in the afternoons. No more boats after 2 PM, with the idea that only the first dives of the day will be done on Klein.

Klein has been closed in the afternoons. No more boats after 2 PM, with the idea that only the first dives of the day will be done on Klein.
That makes a lot of sense if the boats are not vectors for the disease. If they are, then Klein should be completely closed.

This is inaccurate. Klein is not closed in the afternoons. Klein remains open during the customary hours.

Attachments

• 20230512_143601.jpg
    20230512_143601.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 44
That includes the full Washington Slagbaai park. STINAPA is considering taking actions for Klein Bonaire. This will be discussed on Friday, together with their partners.
Hi Martijn. Do you have any update on this meeting? Thanks

Hi Martijn. Do you have any update on this meeting? Thanks

From the Bonaire Reporter, 6 hours ago:

In case you missed this...unfortunately we missed a few lines in our printed version of the Reporter resulting in an incomplete read- sorry for the mistakes. The online version is corrected or you can read it here.

STINAPA HOLDS UPDATE ON SCTLD
STINAPA Bonaire’s April 28 update meeting regarding Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) received the full attention from the dive and watersports community with the announcement of 10 northern dive sites closing and no diving in Washington Slagbaai National Park (WSNP).
STINAPA biologist Roxanne-Liana Francisca provided background of SCTLD and the seriousness of the problem.
SCTLD is one of 25 coral diseases with causes unknown that have infected Caribbean corals. Until SCTLD, white band disease made the largest impact destroying 90-98% of staghorn and elkhorn coral across the Caribbean. Where white band affects only two coral species, SCTLD can attack 20.
A test for SCTLD has not been found therefore a diagnosis is never 100%. Only one symptom is reported – they turn white and then die. The disease is most likely a bacteria that progresses very quickly advancing by 3-4 cm per day with a potential for devastation.
Francisca said, “White patches appear and move really fast. Other diseases take months or years, but SCTLD can kill coral colonies in days or weeks. Treatment with antibiotics can kill it but that doesn’t mean it won’t spread throughout an entire colony.”
The disease was first spotted in 2014 at the Port of Miami and moved to Jamaica, Trinidad/Tobago, Haiti, Cuba and other Caribbean islands. Florida has received 60% loss with a reported 400 miles of coral reef affected. Currently St Maartin reports a 90% loss, Curacao and Bonaire corals are infected but not Aruba.
In 2022, STINAPA discovered a disease affecting pillar coral but as to whether it was SCTLD was never confirmed. In February similar symtoms were noticed on Maze coral on Calabas reef.

“We are not blaming anyone and most likely we will never know, but it doesn’t matter, it is here, and we are trying to combat it. It’s our job to try to control it.” said Francisca “One week we find 48 infected corals and the next week there are 60 corals. But 87% of the reef is still healthy. We should all take this very seriously.”

STINAPA has reacted in phases: Phase 1 was to alert and inform; Phase 2 is present guidelines and monitoring and Phase 3 is active intervention.
The disease has spread over 2.5 km with very little mortality. Francisca suggests it could be that overall Bonaire has healthier corals than other islands with an average of 40% coral cover while other islands have only 18%.
Francisca noted that higher temperatures slow the spread of the disease. Whether or not small fish pecking the coral could spread the disease is unknown. But it is clear the disease accumulates on neoprene wetsuits and other gear requiring disinfection protocols for divers and snorkelers.

Francisca explained that the disease is already in the water column. Currents move the water and where the currents meet it pushes the water out and much of the polluted water is going north. (see map)
This is why the northern dive sites on the west coast were closed May 1: Carel’s Vision, Taylor Made, Candyland, Nukove, Wayaka, Slagbaai, Bisé Morto, Playa Funchi, Playa Benge and Boka Bartol. Moorings on these sites have been removed to prevent boats mooring. Swimming and snorkeling are allowed.

A marine park boat is stationed at Karpata to monitor possible illegal diving. Any vehicles entering WSNP will be checked for dive gear and removed if found and left at the entrance to pick up later.

To hopefully curtail SCTLD on Klein Bonaire, it was announced beginning May 15, Klein would be closed to all boats after 2 p.m. This is to prevent infection from other Bonaire sites visited earlier in the day.
With these initial announcements meeting participants voiced their concerns regarding scheduling times for boats, loss of client bookings, income and even the cost of providing decontaminating tanks for their client’s gear.

Ernest de Lanoy, president of Piskabon, spoke to the crowd saying, “I’m afraid my grandchildren won’t be able to enjoy the coral. Few people here have offered support to STINAPA. Most are only concerned about their own business. I can imagine if it [the coral] dies they will pack up their business and go to a different island. If we don’t all work together then my first concern will come true.”

Since the April 28 meeting, SCTLD has been identified on Klein Bonaire at dive sites Jerry’s Reef, Just a Nice Dive and Buddy’s Reef. STINAPA is continuing to monitor other Klein Bonaire sites and will provide updates regarding their plan as to whether a 2 p.m. closure will be in effect beginning May 15.
Francisca said, “Decisions are based on limited data, but it’s the best data available from other island’s experiences. Bonaire reefs are very resilient. Our reefs are a lot healthier than other islands and we might be better able to fight all the disease. But if we do nothing, then we will lose our coral.”

STINAPA is holding monthly updates to keep everyone informed. But everyone must do their part. Disinfect your gear and follow the rinse protocol outlined at A weekly updated map of the spread of the disease visit https://www.agrra.org/coraldisease-outbreak/

Now, as originally scheduled, Klein will close at 2pm daily effective tomorrow, until Stinapa updates the plan, in light of new information. The updated plan is expected this week.

Back
Top Bottom