Screw sharks Im afriad of octopuses now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that video. Interesting story. Apparently some aquarium kept losing fish and couldn't figure it out so they put in a camera. The shark was only 3' - 4' long though.

I'm going to need a bigger pot

Did anyone see the story on Scientific American Frontiers 4 or 5 years ago about octopi? Seems they can learn how to very easily. One octopi could unscrew a jar lid to get at a tasty morsel while his co-hort was clueless. They let the clueless one watch the opening on the jar by the other and he was able to claim the prize on his next attempt.
All in all, I'll take sharks over old 8 legs any day.

I've had captive Giant Octopuses in the aquarium. Very nice critters with individual temperaments. That being said they can get into mischief every so often like eating other critters. In my experience they have always been playful and let you know when they are in an ill temper. So there is very little to fear from them other than a playful yank off the mask game. The television shows of 'dangerous' octopus coupled with scary music and personal commentary are all laughable. Divers having bad experiences with Giant Octopus usually have themselves to blame.

I had one fellow I used to play with on a daily basis. He would wrap several arms around my arm during feeding time to play. When he started to drag me too far into the tank I would gently unwrap his arms. He would get a bit upset (red display and squirting water) because I couldn't indulge him underwater. Petting him usually soothed his feelings.

Octopus are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom