Screening echo for old guy before tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Dr. Decompression:

I'm 45 years old, healthy, no significant medical problems and no meds. I ran ultramarathons into my late 30s (before my knees rebelled). Now I'm getting ready to start taking some tech courses like advanced nitrox and decompression.

Is routine echo screening recommended for an old man like me before engaging in technical decompression diving? I don't think my primary doctor will have a clue how to answer this question. Even so, in this day and age of (mis)managed care, I'd like to have some facts at my disposal before I insist on a screening TEE.

Or is the incidence of PFO, etc., so low that routine screening is not recommended?

Or is the number of older tech divers so low that there is not enough data for a recommendation?

Thank you,
Harry

Doc Harry:
Hi Dr. Decompression:

I'm 45 years old, healthy, no significant medical problems and no meds. I ran ultramarathons into my late 30s (before my knees rebelled). Now I'm getting ready to start taking some tech courses like advanced nitrox and decompression.

Is routine echo screening recommended for an old man like me before engaging in technical decompression diving? I don't think my primary doctor will have a clue how to answer this question. Even so, in this day and age of (mis)managed care, I'd like to have some facts at my disposal before I insist on a screening TEE.

Or is the incidence of PFO, etc., so low that routine screening is not recommended?

Or is the number of older tech divers so low that there is not enough data for a recommendation?

Thank you,
Harry
I'm 49, been diving with doubles beyond recreational limits for 7 years now. Have been full trimix for 5 years. I guess I am scared to get checked for PFO at this point.

Harry,,,, I think with what you have said your pers. light tech training and diving is just fine,,,you being a doctor you would know best about your conditioning. I have not heard of older divers doing the Echo screening. As long as you are in good health and follow the tech rules and have good common sense I think all will be fine. But the ageing process ef. has an impact on us older divers in the areas of DCI and general stamina,,,,so listen to your body and lean towards the conservitive side. Guys like you and me (51) whom are in diving and partc. the tech side are in the minority,,,,so we just have to take it a bit easier and watch that envelope a bit more carefully. Best wishes and happy diving...tech courses--GO FOR IT!

Glad to see there are others. Go for it, Harry!

I'm about to turn 52 and will be talking the NAUI Intro to Tech Diving class in Apr. After that, probably the Intro to Cavern and Cave cert. Then advanced nitrox and deco. Probably will be the end of it there.

All the guys in my dive club are 20's and 30's. One old fart like me, who just finished his advanced deco course. I figure that it really isn't that more taxing than rec limits, just requires more sense on our part.

Let us know how you make out!

Happy Diving!

Hey Harry,

I'm scheduled for a ECG with bubble study today. I just want to know what I'm working with and will plan accordingly once I know. I'm not old like you, a mere kid at 44. :wink:

Dave Herbert

I'm 58 and could tell you of my plans, but you probly want opinions from more prudent divers.

I can safely say that you are no where near old. My Internist and my Tech Inst agree I'm qualified for more, and you're younger and surely in better shape than me.

Oh, your picture does make you look older. Get one with a hat and lose the shades. :wink:

Age has nothing to do with a PFO. Age does increase risk for DCI. A PFO can have varying degrees of impact on offgassing, depending on the size of the PFO. Put the two together and I think it's a valid concern, but you can't know if it exists and to what extent it can impact your off gassing unless you are tested.

The doctors I have spoke with about this know about PFO, but had no clue as to the complications it could cause with off gassing. I had a physical and expressed my concern to the Dr., who put a stethescope to my chest and pronounced me free of defects. Not good enough for me. I got a second doctor and after actually listening to me, scheduled a ECG for me.

Hey Harry,

Like D said above, PFOs aren't correlated to age.

I tried to get a PFO screening when I started doing deep trimix dives. My insurance basically said that its a $5K charge - if the test finds I HAVE a PFO then insurance pays to find/correct it. If I DON'T have a PFO, then its elective and I get stuck with a $5K bill.

But other guys have successfully had their insurance cover the cost. If you can wrangle a PFO screening, I recommend it - for peace of mind if no other reason.

A PFO can put a real abrupt halt to your decompression diving...sometimes permanently. (PM Detroit Diver - on this board - for a personal testimony.)

OTOH, incidence is low in the general population. Unless you begin suffering some DCI symptoms, perhaps you want to proceed with confidence (and roll the dice!)

Best,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom