scrawny girl needs BC advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
actually, i add weight by DRINKING cold water i carry in separate containers
(also prevents dry mouth, nice side-effect)...

only problem is, if i have to go number 1, my bouyancy goes to heck and i have
to chug-a-log lots of water quickly

:eyebrow:

Andy, have you been drinking heavy water again?

Just remember what happened to the Penguin's goons at the bat cave when they were rehydrated with heavy water!!

One good bump and POOF!!!!! :11:

Take care dude.
Paul.

I am about the same size as you. Two years ago I bought the ScubaPro Glide Plus. I absolutely love it! It's extremely comfortable, has weight integration and good lift. You need to just go try on as many as you can and see which one is best for you. I know how hard it is when gear does not fit. Good luck!!

EFM:
I recently finished o/w cert. I'm looking forward to blowing money on gear, but could use some opinions first. My main concern is finding a comfy BC. I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny, but I still have the hip issues. I wasn't blessed with much of anything on top, but I have a petite frame. During training the BCD was either cutting off circulation to my arms or was too loose. The weight belt was no good. It was all very much uncomfortable and tiring. I want to make sure I get something that fits so that I can more efficiently maneuver with the tank and extra weight. Anybody out there with a similar issue and advice?

i had the same problem when I first started diving, i'm about 5'2" and 110 lbs. I ended up getting a ScubaPro LadyHawk, the weight-integration is good because it eliminates the weight belt (which tends to rotate when you have no hips!), but the back inflate took a while to get used to. I also like it because I'm small on top and it fits well and doesn't slide around.

EFM:
I recently finished o/w cert. I'm looking forward to blowing money on gear, but could use some opinions first. My main concern is finding a comfy BC. I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny, but I still have the hip issues. I wasn't blessed with much of anything on top, but I have a petite frame. During training the BCD was either cutting off circulation to my arms or was too loose. The weight belt was no good. It was all very much uncomfortable and tiring. I want to make sure I get something that fits so that I can more efficiently maneuver with the tank and extra weight. Anybody out there with a similar issue and advice?

EFM:
My main concern is finding a comfy BC. I'm about 5' 1" and weigh about 105 lbs. I'm pretty darn scrawny, but I still have the hip issues. I want to make sure I get something that fits so that I can more efficiently maneuver with the tank and extra weight.

I also am very petite - 5'1 108lbs, I currently dive a SeaQuest Libra (integrated weights) I only dive with 4lbs in the BC, 2-2lbs lead shot bags in back bladder but you do have the side weight pockets for weight as needed. I also dive with a HP steel 80cu tank and it is very comftable in this BC. - Good Luck ; AquaPixie

adventurechick:
I am about the same size as you. Two years ago I bought the ScubaPro Glide Plus. I absolutely love it! It's extremely comfortable, has weight integration and good lift. You need to just go try on as many as you can and see which one is best for you. I know how hard it is when gear does not fit. Good luck!!

I got a Scubapro Ladyhawk. It is not perfect, (my shoulders are a bit bulky for it) but its loads better than the rental BC I used for my certification. I'm 5'1" and 115 lbs. I loaned my BC to a more petite diver than me and she has now bought one herself. I had to move the attachment of the waist belt to make it smaller, which is easily done. The BC did ease off a lot when I got it in the water.

Lack of pockets (it comes with a stowable pocket) is a pain, but I'm too small to wear a BC with big pockets - my arms are too big!

EFM,
I'm even smaller than you. 5'2" and 102 lbs. All I can suggest is try on a bunch of BC's on and see what you like and don't like about them. Right when I thought I had the perfect extra small BC to fit around me. I realized the pockets were so small I couldn't fit a standard safety sausage in it. Forget about trying to retrieve anything during the dive from your pocket except maybe the sausage. Integrated weights are fine until you start taking the rescue class and you have to stuff the weights back in while in the water. Or you have to haul all the gear to the side of the pool to put it back together again. Even with a 24 in waist some cummerbunds don't hold. Look for a BC with a chest latch to make sure they stay secure. Double tank bands are preferred even with our short back lengths.

All it really takes is more experience to see what you like and don't like.

Best of Luck

Your gear configuration might depend on where your diving at too, I have been skimming but didn't see what type of diving you plan on doing if you want to get a little more technical it is very easy to grow into the backplace and wings. The Scuba Pro's and Seaquests are some favorites that I know a lot of women dive. The Diverite transpac can be custom fit to just about anyone and you can interchange parts easily. But you want to be fit by a shop that is familiar with it. you might check their website if you want specifics. Really the best solution would be to try and dive the BC before you dive it, or get in a pool with it.

Good Luck

I agree with everyone who is saying that you just need to try on as many as possible until you find the one that fits you best.
Something to consider though, it totally sucks, but when sizing the BC you really should be wearing your exposure suit.
I didn't and bought a large because the medium fit perfectly in normal clothes and with a 7mm wetsuit I figured the large would be great.
Should have bought the medium.
Anyway, your exposure suit can do a lot in terms of affecting which size to get. Happy shopping!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom