scrawny girl needs BC advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianwl:
Hi. I suggest checking out the Zeagle Escape. It is a back inflate BC with a weight integrated system. Nice BC.

Seconded! I'm on the small side myself (5'3", 115lbs), but a bit widish in the hip area, and I've got a Zeagle Escape. Most. Comfortable. BC. Evar. You can get it sized to you pretty exactly - I got an extra-small top with a small cummerbund and it fits me like a glove. The weight integration eliminates the belt issues and the back inflate is glorious. It's also available with Air2 if you're so inclined (I've got that too.)

Caver95:
Ladies, I think a back plate and wings is the best thing since, well I dont know, something really good.

i second (or third) this. a backplate is amazing:

1. it is infinitely adjustable, much more so THAN ANY BC THAT WILL EVER BE MADE

2. it distributes weight evenly across your back, eliminating pressure on your lower back

3. it eliminates the need for a strap across your chest,
thus doing away with any restriction to breathing

4. having excellent trim and bouyancy on a back plate and harness is soooooooooooooooo easy...

5. on the surface, all you have to do is lean slightly backwards, and the thing floats itself AND YOU. no more
need to kick to stay upright, just lean back and enjoy.

did i mention i love my backplate and wings? :wink:

I've been checking out the BP&W. I'm curious to know brand preferences, where to buy.

I am concerned about where to put the weight. Would the DUI harness work with BP&W? Any other solutions?

i put my weight on weight pockets which i attack to the tank straps, since i use
little weight (4 pounds max).

if i had to put more weight on, i'd wear a weightbelt.

EFM:
I am concerned about where to put the weight. Would the DUI harness work with BP&W? Any other solutions?

First off, being "scrawny" is not a bad thing but it will probably ratchet up your relative heat loss rate if you dive in cold water, so you'd need a thicker insulation suit than the "well padded" divers. This will generally ratchet up your ballast load a bit.

You didn't give a location, so there is some quesiton as to how much weight you'd actually need. Being "scrawny" also means you probably don't have much natural flotation. In warm water a plate alone would probably be enough. If you are diving dry in Lake Superior or points north you are hauling enough to keep the bubble in your suit down, and don't need ditchable weight. OTOH if you are diving wet anywhere in between those two extreems your ballast needs can be highly variable.

One of the advantages of a plate and wing is you get to move some of the weight off yor hips and onto your back. What is left can either go in a weight harness set, releasable ballast pouches, or on a much smaller belt.

A good examination of your buoyancy needs in the diving you'd normally do is the first step in choosing any BC.

Shoot me an e-mail address by PM, or to the address below and I'll provide you with a write-up on how to do the buoyancy thing, and some info in your backplate options.

FT

EFM:
I've been checking out the BP&W. I'm curious to know brand preferences, where to buy.

Depends on where you live. In the US Halcyon is popular. In Europe you'll find more Diverite and OMS.

R..

also, dont' forget Dive Rite... they make good gear

H2Andy:
i put my weight on weight pockets which i attack to the tank straps, since i use
little weight (4 pounds max).

if i had to put more weight on, i'd wear a weightbelt.

Do I dare.....do I dare......hmmmmm

Don't listen to Andy EFM. He just takes little plastic bags with him when he's diving and fills them up with water when he's ready to descend.. LOOOLLL

Sorry man.

R..

LOL

actually, i add weight by DRINKING cold water i carry in separate containers
(also prevents dry mouth, nice side-effect)...

only problem is, if i have to go number 1, my bouyancy goes to heck and i have
to chug-a-log lots of water quickly

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom