Scratches/Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's yet another example of great Shearwater customer service.

After major deliberation, we applied for a dealership at DEMA. When we placed our opening order, the Perdix AI's were already back ordered. When it looked like they would not be in stock in time for my TEC courses in Bonaire, Shearwater loaned me a non-AI Perdix for my training.

To top it off, I actually received the opening shipment the afternoon before I left as Shearwater ships overnight to their us dealers through a special arrangement with ups. They are the only manufacturer that I am aware of that does that.

The Perdix worked so well during the courses that getting the dealership would have been an easy decision, if I had actually known how well they worked, to start with.

Last edited:
It feels like the best money we've spent on Scuba and we are a long way from utilizing the capacity of the Perdix.

I can understand new divers getting into diving not wanting to spend the kind of money required for a SW so I do recommend a puck (Oceanic or otherwise) in the $159-200 range every once in while. Other than that, I can't see any reason to get anything other than a SW. I've owned several - the first I bought was a Petrel from when the first dive shop in N FL started carrying SW. Since then I've owned SW products on three rebreathers - all four have behaved flawlessly but I have no doubt if they didn't I would be taken care of by the legendary customer service. I can't imagine buying any other computer, ever.

Honestly I do not think there is a more loved dive company - they deserve the commercial.

The only other company that comes close is Light Monkey (which is certainly hard to do as a light manufacturer!). They have an army of satisfied customers out there.

What a great commercial! :)

I can understand new divers getting into diving not wanting to spend the kind of money required for a SW so I do recommend a puck (Oceanic or otherwise) in the $159-200 range every once in while. Other than that, I can't see any reason to get anything other than a SW. I've owned several - the first I bought was a Petrel from when the first dive shop in N FL started carrying SW. Since then I've owned SW products on three rebreathers - all four have behaved flawlessly but I have no doubt if they didn't I would be taken care of by the legendary customer service. I can't imagine buying any other computer, ever.

Now that Shearwater has AI, the price of competition for recreational dive computers with AI is about the same. If someone wants AI, why would they buy anything but Shearwater?

I have said this before, but I think all other dive computer manufacturers need to look at how easy Shearwater's UI is to navigate. You don't need a manual (though reading it is a good idea). That company really worked hard to have a straight forward interface, great feature set for tec diving, and great battery life (which is a hard problem to tackle).

Designed and built by a diver for himself, who dives his own equipment. Makes a huge difference.

I think it is ridiculous not to buy a Shearwater computer. At the end of the day, the resale value is so good that it is a low risk purchase and if you decide to keep it, you are diving the best line of computers out there.

Only got three dives on mine so far but loving it. The screen is so damn clear which in UK waters is a huge boon. Already found I can navigate the menus and find what I need pretty quickly and easily underwater.

To the person that posted about the straps - I know the feeling. They were just too bulky for my liking. I ended up going for 2 independent loops of bungee cord as opposed to the tubing (one each side) with a fisherman's knot (which makes it adjustable). If one snags or breaks, I always carry spare bungee so can replace it in under 5 minutes between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom