Scratches on dry seals, how bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patoux01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I recently bought a new drysuit, but I don't have anyone to help me out with the potential issues :( (perfectly fine with buoyancy etc as I used them during my OW course). Reason for that is I bought it online (seaskin) rather than local (where you can only find DUI and FE, both slightly too expensive for me). So I'm hoping to find some help online.

First, I feel like the seals are very exposed on those suits, making them more prone to failure. Would they fail for instance if I should hold on to a rock on a surfy exit?
Second, I somehow scratched the seals, I think the velcro on my gloves is responsible for that (it's not completely held down because it lost its stretch), I'll replace it with a bit of bungee. How bad is it?

150404123126379548.jpg150404123119507289.jpg

I know they're bound to fail someday, I'll replace them with a ring system at that moment, but if that day could come after a bit more than 10 dives, that'd be cool. They haven't been exposed to sun, they spent a few hours on a covered deck on a rainy day, nothing more. Or could it be something else than the velcro?

Cheers

They look perfectly normal to my eyes.

Regular use scruffing.

Not likely to fail anytime soon.

Wouldn't worry a second. The biggest threat to seals are skin oils, and stretching with sharp objects close by.
I cannot feel these scratched but if they are new, I think you can expect a LOT of dives on these seals. Keep them clean and away from flourescent lighting.
They can take quite a beating, so don't worry to much.

Just one caution... use unperfumed talcum powder when donning, and be wary of nails when doffing.

Those fancy expensive suits make me worry, I'm scared of ruining it too soon.

Indeed, I did my OW using a drysuit, that doesn't cover maintenance etc, you just zip up and jump in (rental).

Now I don't dive it in the same way as I did back then (ie I used it as BCD), it's a bit different as well as this one is trilam where I had 7mm neoprene first, but that's nothing I can't figure out =). I'm alright underwater, I just plain suck when it comes to maintenance and deciding of the state of something.

Cheers

I did my OW using a drysuit, that doesn't cover maintenance etc.

Maintenance?

My DS "maintenance" schedule is pretty simple: Rinse outside of suit incl exhaust valve after use in salt water, hang up to dry (inside first, then outside), keep zipper lubed. Change seals if/when they rip. And if it's got latex seals, putting a little unscented baby powder on the seals before donning the suit is a good idea.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom