Scott Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigboyDan

Reaction score
As you may know Head stock (Mares/Dacor) has been around US$3.70 per share for quite a while now... and they're selling lots of tennis racquets. On March 22, Johnson Outdoors stock holders will vote on whether to accept the US$87million buy-out by Johnson & Sons. Both companies cite slowing dive equipment sales over the last five years...

Does the above make any comment on the state of recreational diving, or are the problems of the companies mentioned part of the "natural selection process" of competing with newer, more aggressive, and inovative dive equipment manufacturers (such as yourself)? Obviously point of sale (internet) is changing everything, especially for those companies wishing to keep the LDS affiliated model; but has there been an total industry decline in equipment sales? If so, is that due to static diver growth, or is the equipment offered so good (over-all) that new purchaces for high-end equipment aren't made as often? I mean, if all we have to offer is the reissued/marketed forty-year old BP/W system and tech accessories... well, good luck.

Any thoughts?

Moved thread to Q&A from manufacturers as it seemed more apt there. :wink:

As to the decline of the manufacturers of scuba gear, one can look at the sharing of the product line amongst some manufacturers to see that they only have a partial interest in scuba - thinking PST and Sherwood are pretty good examples of this. Zeagle is all about diving from what i have seen, no other sideline interests or diversifications. Internet/LDS sales is a whole different ballgame that has been discussed quite a few times :wink:

Whew....man....I don't think I can speak for the entire dive industry!! LOL

Where are the major companies spokespeople when I need them? :wink:

Honestly, I don't want to make broad assumptions about anyone elses company on an internet forum, since I don't know the detailed information.

Point of sale is probably the largest thing affecting the industry today. I love the LDS, and would love to see them all thrive and continue, but I think that LeisurePro started an avalance that will be hard to overcome for the "family owned local shop" - much like the small grocery store or hardware store is put out of business by a Super Wal-Mart coming to town. People like Larry at ScubaToys (who is well known here, so I will use as an example) have adapted and continue to thrive, but many will not.

Unlike many people on this forum, I am concerned about the lack of local dive shops in the coming years. I get my nitrox fills and rent my hp120s from my LDS. When my kids need a wetsuit or some dive booties, I get them from my LDS. I could call the manufacturer and buy it direct from them (a professional courtesy thing...) but my personal belief is that the LDS is good for the industry, and good for my town.

As for the industry being down overall - Compared to the late 80s and 90s, I would definitely say it is down. The whole 9-11 tragedy hurt the industry very much, imho.

I can tell you in Zeagles case, last season demand exceeded supply. We are working hard to make sure that this season we will have the inventory to ship when it is needed...wish us luck! :)

I am not sure if I answered your questions, but these are my thoughts (which do not necessarily represent Zeagle System Inc. or its owner) :wink:

Scott

Good post Scott... and while I get all my nitrox fills out in my garage I do see the need for a healthy LDS... and you are right Larry is a good example of how an LDS can adapt and prosper. Actually Larry's helpful attitude is a BIG plus. Before I set up my nitrox fill station I phoned Larry and talked to him at length about his RIX compressor and blender. He was very helpful and I haven't forgotten it.

BigboyDan... please check your PMs.

9-11 and the lagging economy (both linked in one way or another) has done a lot of damage to all industries. Like always, those business people that can change with the times will be around tomorrow, those who don't won't.

"If a business can't figure out what the future brings, and mold their model accordingly, it is unfair to ask the consumer just to pay more money because that business man is incompetent." -Larry of www.scubatoys.com
I copied the above from Jonnythan's sig and I think it tells it all. I really don't see how my LDS has made it 5 years. He will tell you that since 9-11, things really hit bottom but are rising.

Scott I hope your supply of regs is good for this year. It is a toss up between Zeagle and Apeks. I am thinking more Zeagle, gotta support the US business, and I know that I can get great customer service. Just too bad that I can't try one out since the only dealer around doesn't use them in their rental gear.

crpntr133:
Just too bad that I can't try one out since the only dealer around doesn't use them in their rental gear.

You might even consider buying it blind. Their reputation is well-known.

I have two FH6's, and they completely rock.

Wouldn't be totally blind since I do have a Zeagle Brigade as well as their dive knife. Scott has already taken care of a small problem with the knife so I know the customer service is there.

I think that the owners of scuba businesses who are willing to regularly post on this board demonstrate a willingness to become publicly vulnerable to the opinions and judgments of the board members, and this keeps them at a higher level of accountability. Which is why I bought my Atomic M1 from Scubatoys, and I booked a dive trip to Coz with Christi (Blue XT Sea). I try to support my local LDS as well. But the irony of the Internet is that it is vast, and impersonal, and yet on community sites like ScubaBoard we can get to know people like Scott and Christi and Larry, and purchase from people we perceive to know better than our local LDS employees. I believe businesses that tap into this phenomena in the future will prosper.

ScottZeagle:
Unlike many people on this forum, I am concerned about the lack of local dive shops in the coming years. I get my nitrox fills and rent my hp120s from my LDS. When my kids need a wetsuit or some dive booties, I get them from my LDS. I could call the manufacturer and buy it direct from them (a professional courtesy thing...) but my personal belief is that the LDS is good for the industry, and good for my town.

Scott

Your not alone Scott. I think most people who have been diving more than a few years fully understand what is at stake if we lose the LDS. It would be a net negative on the industry IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom